Haynes Boone Dallas/Texas Lifestyle firms Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
the19bouncer

New

Haynes Boone Dallas/Texas Lifestyle firms

Post by the19bouncer » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:26 am

Is Haynes Boone in Dallas a lifestyle firm? Their billable hours seem to be pretty normal at 2000, but I have heard the culture there is a lot more chill- can anyone give any anecdotes on this?

Also, does anyone know which firms in Texas are the best lifestyle firms that pay somewhat near market? Is there anything even like a lifestyle firm that also doesn't pay way below market?

Any advice would be very useful, thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Haynes Boone Dallas/Texas Lifestyle firms

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:43 pm

What group are you in? Are you coming in as a lateral or out of law school?

Generally, I would steer clear of KE and GD based on information I have gleaned from colleagues there. But you have to consider more the group. Also, TX lifestyle is way better, in my opinion, than NY. I can provide more color once I know more about what you're looking for

the19bouncer

New

Post by the19bouncer » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:43 pm

Generally, I would steer clear of KE and GD based on information I have gleaned from colleagues there. But you have to consider more the group. Also, TX lifestyle is way better, in my opinion, than NY. I can provide more color once I know more about what you're looking for
I am going to be attending law school (UT Austin) next fall. In my last semester of undergrad right now, sorry if I am thinking about this stuff way too early. I've just read that big law sucks really bad and honestly am seeing what options the future has to hold so I can consider if I even want to go down this path.

I wanted to learn more about which firms are sustainable places to work at that don't grind people down too hard, even if the pay is a little bit below market. I live right next to Haynes Boone and have heard good things about the firm so that's why I wanted to ask. Also deciding between corporate or litigation and what generally has better hours.

I've also been talking to some T&E/private wealth lawyers who all say they love their job and work much less than their peers so that path is also another option that I am really interested in.

Anyways, any advice would be really great!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:38 pm

the19bouncer wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:43 pm

I am going to be attending law school (UT Austin) next fall. In my last semester of undergrad right now, sorry if I am thinking about this stuff way too early. I've just read that big law sucks really bad and honestly am seeing what options the future has to hold so I can consider if I even want to go down this path.

I wanted to learn more about which firms are sustainable places to work at that don't grind people down too hard, even if the pay is a little bit below market. I live right next to Haynes Boone and have heard good things about the firm so that's why I wanted to ask. Also deciding between corporate or litigation and what generally has better hours.

I've also been talking to some T&E/private wealth lawyers who all say they love their job and work much less than their peers so that path is also another option that I am really interested in.

Anyways, any advice would be really great!
You are thinking about this way, way too far in advance, and making assumptions that you are going to be lined up with a biglaw job at whatever firm you want. Haynes and Boone is a competitive biglaw firm in the Am Law 100. It may not have nationwide recognition, but it certainly has a lot of Texas recognition. The jobs it offers are competitive even for UT law grads with decent grades. Are the people there generally good people who are nice? Yeah, mostly, but not every single one. Are the people at a lot of other firms also nice and easy going? Yes. Don't hyper focus on one particular firm so much.

Also, it seems like your clear goal is to work as little as possible while getting paid the most possible. That's fine and all, but its not going to be realistic. There is no such thing as a "lifestyle" firm in any firm with a billable hour target of 2000 hours. That is a lot of hours, and what most other NY based biglaw shops even have as their targets. "Lifestyle" firms are firms with targets of like 1400-1600. If you want to work sub-biglaw hours you need to go find a non-biglaw firm. There are some boutiques out there, including in Texas, that are somewhat sophisticated and pay "competitive" salaries (think max $200 salary), but they do not typically hire first years and instead like 2-4 year laterals from biglaw firms.

All you need to be focusing on right now is getting good grades and trying to figure out if you like litigation or corporate better. Absolutely, do not, I repeat do not, choose your lifelong practice area based on what has "better hours". That is the quickest way to hate yourself and your job. Both litigation and corporate have ups and downs with hours. Try to choose a practice area you at least partially enjoy or find somewhat interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”