White & Case (DC), Simpson (NY), or O'Melveny (SV) Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
travelers

New

White & Case (DC), Simpson (NY), or O'Melveny (SV)

Post by travelers » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:29 pm

I am interested in "international" regulatory law (strongest interest in international trade and nat security, but open to trying antitrust or perhaps international arbitration) which has made me lean towards W&C DC. At the same time, however, it is hard to look past the "prestige" of the Simpson name, especially because there are opportunities to do some antitrust/regulatory work in NY (although not to the extent it seems, especially with trade, as a DC practice), and I have met some very nice people there as well. My interest in O'Melveny Silicon Valley stems from a liking of California and their reputation for "wellness" and "lifestyle," but their regulatory work would likely only be in the form of data privacy/cyber. I would love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: White & Case (DC), Simpson (NY), or O'Melveny (SV)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:25 am

Where do you want to live?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:13 pm

travelers wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:29 pm
I am interested in "international" regulatory law (strongest interest in international trade and nat security, but open to trying antitrust or perhaps international arbitration) which has made me lean towards W&C DC. At the same time, however, it is hard to look past the "prestige" of the Simpson name, especially because there are opportunities to do some antitrust/regulatory work in NY (although not to the extent it seems, especially with trade, as a DC practice), and I have met some very nice people there as well. My interest in O'Melveny Silicon Valley stems from a liking of California and their reputation for "wellness" and "lifestyle," but their regulatory work would likely only be in the form of data privacy/cyber. I would love to hear your thoughts, thanks!
Come on.... this is so obvious. You are not going to touch regulatory work at Simpson, let alone international regulatory work. "Prestige" for prestige sake means nothing. Wellness/Lifestyle and "O'Melveny" do not belong in the same sentence (can't speak to SV but they're a pit of toxicity in LA just scan recent posts on here). White & Case is prestigious for all that is international and I'd go with that and not look back. They have the practice areas you want, they have international prestige....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:10 pm

To be honest these “international” practices are unicorn jobs and you should know by now who and what firm practices something along those lines. Also anything “international” is generally horrible (eg time zones, you work Sunday because of soon Monday in another relevant country or take a call after midnight because its 10 am for the client). Suggest checking out other practice areas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:10 pm
To be honest these “international” practices are unicorn jobs and you should know by now who and what firm practices something along those lines. Also anything “international” is generally horrible (eg time zones, you work Sunday because of soon Monday in another relevant country or take a call after midnight because its 10 am for the client). Suggest checking out other practice areas.
I mean international arbitration and international trade (for regulatory preferences) are not THAT unicorn. For the latter, top players with fairly big practices (so not so much A&P or Sidley) are probably Cov/Hogan/Steptoe/Akin/Crowell & Moring/White & Case/Davis Polk (growing)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”