Simpson Thatcher or Weil Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Shaun

New

Simpson Thatcher or Weil

Post by Shaun » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:58 pm

I have received offers to join both Simpson Thatcher and Weil's private equity teams as a first year associate. I am interested in infrastructure private equity. Which firm is better for (i) infrastructure private equity and (ii) private equity? Any advice appreciated

Anonymous User

Re: Simpson Thatcher or Weil

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:50 pm

Go where you feel like you'll fit in better and vibe with the people better. At the junior associate level, any differences in the substantive work of the two firms isn't really relevant to you. If you feel like you fit in and vibe with both firms equally, then just use the vault rankings as a tiebreaker and go to Simpson.

Anonymous User

Re: Simpson Thatcher or Weil

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:10 pm

The private equity practices at both of these firms are absolute bears. I think Weil's reputation is pretty unpleasant for it and know Simpson's is. If you think you like the people at Weil more or have heard better things than me, go there. Based purely on who is "better" for PE, hands down Simpson. And Simpson's infrastructure practice is also robust, but as unpleasant to work in as it is strong. I would personally recommend doing PE at a firm not known for PE, but it sounds like you are a 3L hire so begger's can't be choosers.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”