What to wear during first few weeks of work at Chicago biglaw firm? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
kirkorsid

New

What to wear during first few weeks of work at Chicago biglaw firm?

Post by kirkorsid » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:07 pm

I'm going to be a transactional first year at a Chicago firm. I'm a dude. What should I wear? Khakis + buttondown okay? Or should I be wearing suits?

Wubbles

Bronze

Re: What to wear during first few weeks of work at Chicago biglaw firm?

Post by Wubbles » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:04 pm

kirkorsid wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:07 pm
I'm going to be a transactional first year at a Chicago firm. I'm a dude. What should I wear? Khakis + buttondown okay? Or should I be wearing suits?
Suit the first day, then you'll probably be told the real dress code or be able to discern it from the people at the office. Slacks or chinos and a dress shirt and no tie is standard fare for day to day at most places.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:14 pm

I don't think you need to suit first day, maybe throw on a blazer. Don't wear khakis until you get a feel for the vibe. Dress shirt and slacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:00 pm

I started last fall in another major market. I went suit with no tie on the first day and it was perfectly appropriate.

After that, you just feel it out. Most offices are fairly casual in the RTW era, especially in corporate, so you may find that a polo, jeans, and Allbirds is the norm (that is what 75% of my male corporate colleagues wear on a daily basis).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:59 am

For detailed recommendations on this, and how to succeed as a summer associate/new attorney, check out the book Big Law Confidential.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”