Selling stock before officially being hired? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
hiii454

New

Selling stock before officially being hired?

Post by hiii454 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:00 am

So, I'm a bit stuck. I'll reach out to my firm for their specific policy, but I'm curious about what other firms do. I have some stocks in my Roth IRA invested in particular businesses and not in an index fund. Can I retain those stocks if there is no conflict of interest at my firm? Does this vary a lot from firm to firm?

I'm also looking for policies of Sullivan and Cromwell in particular, because my partner is going there and they are concerned. They was told they will have to sell all their stocks, but the market is awful right now, and he will lose a significant amount of money. Is that really their only option? Can they set up a predetermined sell plan to abide by insider trading laws?

I've been trying to google these questions, but I can't find any answers. I'm looking for any thoughts!

Anonymous User

Re: Selling stock before officially being hired?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:29 am

My firm did not make me sell my stocks before I started and I'd be surprised if S&C did. I could not trade based on insider information and the firm had a requirement to check the ticker to see if it's on the restricted securities list before executing a trade. So that might mean holding a stock I came in with until I don't have non public information and the firm clears me to sell it but it wouldn't mean selling the stock before coming in. Agreed you should ask the firm for their specific policy.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”