NY Lit Lateral: O'Melveny, MoFo, Wilmer, Cooley, +? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
NYLitigator

New

NY Lit Lateral: O'Melveny, MoFo, Wilmer, Cooley, +?

Post by NYLitigator » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:05 pm

I'm a mid-level in a decently ranked lit group (think CSM/PW/Quinn). I'm looking for a lifestyle improvement, which I don't think will be too hard to find. I think my firm has some teams that are more intense than most Biglaw--I'm on track for well over 3000 hours this year; billed over 400 hours one month; went months without billing a week below the high 60s..... And none of that's particularly unusual at my firm (though it is the high end), especially for someone who's been on multiple trial teams (as I have).

I am hoping to lateral to another Biglaw firm in NYC where the lit group is respected, important to the firm, and does real trial work, but where the intensity will come down a notch. (Even billing 2200-2300 hours would be a huge improvement, especially if there's more flexibility.) Another plus would be avoiding finance-heavy work/clients. The firms I listed in the title are some firms I'm considering applying to and/or networking my way into based on reputations for better lifestyle/flexibility and more tech and entertainment litigation clients than most NY-headquartered shops.

Do these seem like decent firms to pursue given the above? Are there any other firms you'd suggest that I look into? Thanks in advance!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Re: NY Lit Lateral: O'Melveny, MoFo, Wilmer, Cooley, +?

Post by LBJ's Hair » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:56 pm

NYLitigator wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:05 pm
I am hoping to lateral to another Biglaw firm in NYC where the lit group is respected, important to the firm, and does real trial work, but where the intensity will come down a notch. (Even billing 2200-2300 hours would be a huge improvement, especially if there's more flexibility.) Another plus would be avoiding finance-heavy work/clients. The firms I listed in the title are some firms I'm considering applying to and/or networking my way into based on reputations for better lifestyle/flexibility and more tech and entertainment litigation clients than most NY-headquartered shops.
most obvious choice is Gibson - hits all of this, and while people work hard, absolutely not a "3,000 hours" expectation. surprised it wasn't already on your list.

NYLitigator

New

Post by NYLitigator » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:30 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:56 pm
NYLitigator wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:05 pm
most obvious choice is Gibson - hits all of this, and while people work hard, absolutely not a "3,000 hours" expectation. surprised it wasn't already on your list.
Thank you! One point I neglected to add to my post is a preference for more politically left/progressive firms, and GDC has pretty intense conservative ties/vibes (and that bears out if you look up relative partner contributions to dems vs. republicans--there's a graph of that floating around the internet). Maybe the conservatism is concentrated in their DC office, but I have to imagine it bleeds through to other offices at least somewhat. Even just anecdotally, the GDC crop from my law school class was full of FedSocers, which just isn't my jam. That's why it's not on the shortlist I posted!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:26 pm

Wilmer for sure.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:44 am

NYLitigator wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:30 pm
Thank you! One point I neglected to add to my post is a preference for more politically left/progressive firms, and GDC has pretty intense conservative ties/vibes (and that bears out if you look up relative partner contributions to dems vs. republicans--there's a graph of that floating around the internet). Maybe the conservatism is concentrated in their DC office, but I have to imagine it bleeds through to other offices at least somewhat. Even just anecdotally, the GDC crop from my law school class was full of FedSocers, which just isn't my jam. That's why it's not on the shortlist I posted!
eh, would sort of get this if you were looking at DC, but not if you're in NY. pretty familiar with the firm, and NY office is generically liberal. Caitlin Halligan, of all people, ran the NY appellate practice until a year or two ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYLitigator

New

Post by NYLitigator » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:14 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:44 am

eh, would sort of get this if you were looking at DC, but not if you're in NY. pretty familiar with the firm, and NY office is generically liberal. Caitlin Halligan, of all people, ran the NY appellate practice until a year or two ago.
Fair enough; I should add them to my list. Though I feel like my lefty friends/family would judge me if I joined the Citizens United/Walmart v. Dukes/Bush v. Gore firm lol

Any view on Latham's litigation group? I am thinking about them as an option as well.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:16 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:44 am
NYLitigator wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:30 pm
The firm has filed more than a few cert petitions on right-leaning issues this year alone from the NY office. But OP didn’t express an interest in appellate work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”