Cleary NY vs. Freshfields NY/SV Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Cleary NY vs. Freshfields NY/SV

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:39 pm

Created an account to ask for help on this one for 2L summer.

I am interested in litigation, and potentially white collar defense. Thinking about trying to get into a USAO after a couple years.

This would be an easier decision but for that I didn't particularly enjoy talking to any of the Cleary interviewers, whereas I had a good time with the Freshfields attorneys.

Freshfields has also been selling me hard on their growth, and the greater opportunities for juniors they claim will result from that, and I have to admit it's been getting to me. However, an attorney friend of a friend just told me that Freshfields DC is miserable and that there's not much work. I know that on names, connections, and prestige alone, Cleary looks more appetizing for getting into USAOs.

I would be grateful for your advice.

Anonymous User

Re: Cleary NY vs. Freshfields NY/SV

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:15 pm

If you're in litigation, I recommend just going to Cleary NY. Freshfields' growth is really not in the domestic litigation sector, but in M&A. Quite frankly, I would only go with Freshfields if you want to go international, work in M&A or international arbitration; otherwise, Cleary is a safer bet.

Anonymous User

Re: Cleary NY vs. Freshfields NY/SV

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:39 pm
Created an account to ask for help on this one for 2L summer.

I am interested in litigation, and potentially white collar defense. Thinking about trying to get into a USAO after a couple years.

This would be an easier decision but for that I didn't particularly enjoy talking to any of the Cleary interviewers, whereas I had a good time with the Freshfields attorneys.

Freshfields has also been selling me hard on their growth, and the greater opportunities for juniors they claim will result from that, and I have to admit it's been getting to me. However, an attorney friend of a friend just told me that Freshfields DC is miserable and that there's not much work. I know that on names, connections, and prestige alone, Cleary looks more appetizing for getting into USAOs.

I would be grateful for your advice.
If your interests are not (1) M&A or (2) international arbitration, you should go with Cleary.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”