How easy is it to transfer to another office? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

How easy is it to transfer to another office?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:19 pm

So, here's my situation. My SO and I are 3Ls, and we're both starting jobs this fall at different v10 firms. Both firms are headquartered in NYC, and also have a smaller office in DC. But, one of us is starting in DC and one is starting in New York. Neither of us have strong preferences between the two cities, and all we really want is to be able to live in the same place. So our plan is basically that when we start, we'll both explain the situation to our respective firms and say that we'd like to be transferred if and when it becomes possible. Whichever firm says yes first, that person moves. If neither firm says yes within a reasonable time (maybe 2 years), we both start looking to lateral to the other city.

My question is: how likely is it that either firm will allow this? Are firms usually fine with associates moving between offices? And, does anyone have any advice on how to execute this plan?

If it makes any difference, we've both already been given practice group assignments, but both firms have our respective practice groups at both their DC and NY offices, so switching offices won't change our practice area. And, we're both planning on getting licensed in both NY and DC.

NeverEverGiveUp

New

Re: How easy is it to transfer to another office?

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:42 am

Corporation or litigation? Any specific niche?
Transfer from DC to NYC should be easier than DC to NYC.
If you share the name of the firm, you may get more help.

NeverEverGiveUp

New

Re: How easy is it to transfer to another office?

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:48 am

Corporation or litigation? Any specific niche?
Transfer from DC to NYC should usually be easier than DC to NYC.
If you share the name of the firm, you may get more help. For example, I heard S&c would let you split time between their NY and LA offices.
There should also be contacts at the firm to answer your questions. With remote working these days, it should be easier than ever. But I know DC is a small market, and practice area may make a difference.
If you ever want to own a home, think carefully about choosing NYC.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”