How are your firms planning on handling remote work post-COVID? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
letmelearnlaws

New

How are your firms planning on handling remote work post-COVID?

Post by letmelearnlaws » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:48 pm

I understand that the pandemic is still a ways away from being "over." But, as we get more people vaccinated, big firms are going to have to decide how to adjust to the post-COVID world. I know that, in the "before times," law firms were unusually reluctant to allow associates, especially junior associates, to spend a lot of time working remotely. Since big law has done remarkably well during the pandemic, I was wondering if any of you had heard, maybe from your own firms, about what the remote work landscape might look like when offices are able to open back up at full capacity. Will face-time requirements be lessened or eliminated? Will junior associates be permitted, or even encouraged, to work from home for one or two weekdays per week?

Anonymous User

Re: How are your firms planning on handling remote work post-COVID?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:22 pm

letmelearnlaws wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:48 pm
I understand that the pandemic is still a ways away from being "over." But, as we get more people vaccinated, big firms are going to have to decide how to adjust to the post-COVID world. I know that, in the "before times," law firms were unusually reluctant to allow associates, especially junior associates, to spend a lot of time working remotely. Since big law has done remarkably well during the pandemic, I was wondering if any of you had heard, maybe from your own firms, about what the remote work landscape might look like when offices are able to open back up at full capacity. Will face-time requirements be lessened or eliminated? Will junior associates be permitted, or even encouraged, to work from home for one or two weekdays per week?
I'm an incoming first year at a V25. I have somewhat unique circumstances that make it so that, while I don't *need* it, it is extremely important to me to be able work roughly 1 week/month remotely. The various partners in my group that I spoke to didn't seem to think it would be a problem at all. One partner said I should err on the side of being in the office more than out, but that I should generally be fine to do so. Of note, my firm is one of those that appears to be at the forefront of allowing WFH in the future.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:21 pm

I'm at a V50 and we've been told to expect to be in the office 2-3 days per week once the offices fully re-open, which as of now is scheduled to be at the start of next year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:23 pm

I'm a junior and I just got an offer to work fully remote..even after the pandemic. They exist. Ask for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:55 pm

Bigtex firm. Management is pushing HARD to get us back into the office. It’s very annoying.

I assume we will have to go in at least 3 days a week going forward, maybe 4.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:23 pm
I'm a junior and I just got an offer to work fully remote..even after the pandemic. They exist. Ask for them.
Do You mind sharing what market? Firm ranking? Does this apply to specific markets or practice group only?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”