Cleary DC or Milbank NY Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Cleary DC or Milbank NY

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:11 am

They’re very different but I hate deciding. Interested in government work long run, think I’m interested in litigation but would like to try things. Have worked in NY before, not too familiar with DC but thought it might be better for federal government. Any insight into work life, culture, etc would be appreciated

Anonymous User

Re: Cleary DC or Milbank NY

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:11 am
They’re very different but I hate deciding. Interested in government work long run, think I’m interested in litigation but would like to try things. Have worked in NY before, not too familiar with DC but thought it might be better for federal government. Any insight into work life, culture, etc would be appreciated
Worked at Cleary DC and loved it. Would hands down pick it over Milbank NY. Great culture/people (very smart but universally nice and well-rounded) and a fun summer program. Cleary DC strength is antitrust but it has a good range of active practices, including commercial litigation, financial institutions, investigations, securities, sanctions, and the best thing is the practice groups are not rigid, so many associates work in multiple practices. Also an amazing pro bono practice. All strengths for someone hoping to move to government. In contrast several people I know at Milbank got funneled 100% into niche areas they were not interested in. I'm sure Milbank opens some government doors with several SDNY alums but Cleary has much broader government ties being in DC. Partners come from, and associates go off to, not just DOJ/USAOs and SEC but also FTC, State, etc. The international angle to Cleary is also a real part of their work and a great draw if you are interested in spending time abroad or just working on international matters.

Only caveats are a lowish partnership promotion rate (not sure how it compares to Milbank though), recent talk on the TLS clerkship page about Cleary clerks not getting return offers (again, not sure how Milbank compares), and PPP a little lower at Cleary. But if your long run interest is government work I wouldn't let any of that sway you too much.

Anonymous User

Re: Cleary DC or Milbank NY

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:14 pm

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but wondering about the Cleary team and specifically the antitrust folks. I'd imagine they work hard, but how bad is it?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”