Benefits of BigLaw Satellite? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
LegalComedian

New

Benefits of BigLaw Satellite?

Post by LegalComedian » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:46 am

I generally see a lot of downsides to working at a BigLaw satellite office in a second-tier market. I'm wondering what the upsides would be? It seems like sophisticated deal work out of NY or reg out of DC at a market-paying satellite office with a great name in, say, Miami is a great option for a few years before lateraling to a bigger local/regional office with more diverse practice areas/its own clients.

Wondering if this suspicion is true, and if it holds in other cities as well. Please PM if you'd rather not discuss upsides or downsides publicly. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Benefits of BigLaw Satellite?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:04 pm

Downsides: less organize (or non existent) junior associate training, harder to build relationships with firm leadership, risk of getting stuck working with only local partners, who may not be same caliber as typical biglaw attorneys (e.g. got into biglaw through mergers, not merit, and approach their practice like small local lawyers, which isn’t successful in biglaw)
Pros: closer relationships with partners in your office, better work life balance, feels more like a small firm but with the high pay.

Personally, being stuck working in biglaw, being in a satellite office makes it tolerable.

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:18 pm

Reporting this second-hand, but I've heard from attorneys at satellites I've talked to that they enjoy being able to practice some areas of law that aren't common or existent in main offices due to geography. For example, a lot of natural resources law (e.g., water, mining, agriculture, dairy) is region-specific; so, if you're in a Denver satellite office, you'll likely have different substantive law opportunities than the NY office.

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:30 pm

In my (limited) experience, satellites often are just a more casual environment: dress is less formal, facetime requirements are more relaxed, etc. Don't discount how these seemingly "small" things can improve your quality of life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”