Miami BigLaw Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
gwbush69

New

Miami BigLaw

Post by gwbush69 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:51 pm

I’m trying to gauge my (future) prospects of landing a BL job in Miami.

Currently a 1L at a mid-T14, just about median and expect to be around there next year. Will be interning (fed) this summer in Miami.

I want to end up in Miami, but I’ve heard mixed things. A thread on here said it’s super competitive - even for T-14 students - but an associate I spoke with at one of the main firms in Miami said the talent pool is shallow. So I’m getting mixed results here.

I generally crush interviews but I’m wondering if my grades will be simply too low. I’m networking as best I can with associates and a couple partners. Any advice would be great.

I’m specifically looking at H&K, W&C, Jones Day, Akerman, DLA, GT, McDermott, Weil, Foley and MLB

LegalComedian

New

Re: Miami BigLaw

Post by LegalComedian » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:41 am

Ties are important in Miami. I'm a 2L at UM, top 3%, UM Law Review, past federal court internship, and only got 1 BigLaw OCI interview. I have deep Miami ties but my CDO says the resume didn't reflect it enough (as a post mortem... not tremendously helpful). Basically, if you have ties, make it very clear. If you don't, start developing them. Competition is a handful of T14 folks but UM/UF/even FIU now are very well respected and represented in BigLaw down here.

gwbush69

New

Post by gwbush69 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:55 am

LegalComedian wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:41 am
Ties are important in Miami. I'm a 2L at UM, top 3%, UM Law Review, past federal court internship, and only got 1 BigLaw OCI interview. I have deep Miami ties but my CDO says the resume didn't reflect it enough (as a post mortem... not tremendously helpful). Basically, if you have ties, make it very clear. If you don't, start developing them. Competition is a handful of T14 folks but UM/UF/even FIU now are very well respected and represented in BigLaw down here.
Thanks! I have weaker ties than you but I am working to develop them. I will certainly be making them a point of emphasis come OCI.

LegalComedian

New

Post by LegalComedian » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:04 pm

Good luck! As a sidenote, if Miami is the goal more so than BigLaw, we have some truly excellent Mid-sized and regional BigLaw firms that would be worth checking out. Bilzin, Berger Singerman, GrayRobinson, Shutts & Bowen, etc etc all do really great work and pay well for the market. Miami is also extremely insular so lateraling from MidLaw to BigLaw with the right experience isn't nearly as difficult as, e.g., NY or DC.

Lawyerlaw21

New

Post by Lawyerlaw21 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:20 pm

I'm actually trying to decide between a lower T14 and Miami. If my goal is Miami biglaw, what's the better option? Or is it just a roll of the dice either way? I have strong Miami ties. And @LegalComedian that's really helpful to hear about mid-sized firms as well

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:17 am

Which worst case scenario are you comfortable with? Either working in miami and no biglaw (most common option out of U of Miami) or working biglaw but not in Miami (standard T14). You'll need to be top of your class at U of Miami to get biglaw there; you don't necessarily need to be top at the T14, but you'll need connections (or you can practice in NY and then lateral later potentially). Either way, you're taking a chance (I assume you're evaluating a full ride at U of Miami vs a lower T14; if you don't have a fullride to Miami, take the T14).

LegalComedian

New

Post by LegalComedian » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:21 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:17 am
Which worst case scenario are you comfortable with? Either working in miami and no biglaw (most common option out of U of Miami) or working biglaw but not in Miami (standard T14). You'll need to be top of your class at U of Miami to get biglaw there; you don't necessarily need to be top at the T14, but you'll need connections (or you can practice in NY and then lateral later potentially). Either way, you're taking a chance (I assume you're evaluating a full ride at U of Miami vs a lower T14; if you don't have a fullride to Miami, take the T14).
Seconded. Top 1/3 at T14 will almost always at least get you a first round interview, and top 1/2 will make you competitive. It really takes top 10-15% at Miami to even get a second glance from Miami BigLaw. It's doable, but when in doubt, at this point in your life/career, make every decision with an eye towards keeping your options open. On the other hand, if the goal is to be in Miami and you don't need that BigLaw salary bc you have no debt after getting a full ride to the U, then that's the better option. And if you do find yourself top 10% then it's icing on the cake. Just develop Miami ties from day one, that 1L summer will be huge. Good luck!

throwthis678

New

Post by throwthis678 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:32 pm

How is the market generally without ties? Could a T20 grad just move to Miami after school, pass the bar, and be in a decent spot to get a job in the metro area?

gwbush69

New

Post by gwbush69 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:10 pm

throwthis678 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:32 pm
How is the market generally without ties? Could a T20 grad just move to Miami after school, pass the bar, and be in a decent spot to get a job in the metro area?
I would say you're better off starting out elsewhere and transferring down after a couple years if you don't want to risk struggling to find a decent gig. The market is very insular. Some firms will literally require you to state your connection to Miami in your cover letter (GT does this).

skystream

New

Post by skystream » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:24 pm

Hey OP, how did it go? Did you manage to get a post-graduation offer from them?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”