S&C, Skadden, or DPW NY Corporate Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
jladfj

New

S&C, Skadden, or DPW NY Corporate

Post by jladfj » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:55 pm

Any thoughts between these three firms? Interested in corporate work. I know that I am very fortunate to be in this position, but I am having a hard time navigating the decision-making process. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Re: S&C, Skadden, or DPW NY Corporate

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:39 pm

Facing v similar choice - going S&C (just enjoyed interviews there + generalist focus more). Have heard rough stories bout all three firms but would rather work at a place that is harsh but direct in feedback than somewhere where its all good until you get blindsided in review. S&C may have slightly more lay prestige if you care about that also.

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Re: S&C, Skadden, or DPW NY Corporate

Post by Ultramar vistas » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:39 pm
Facing v similar choice - going S&C (just enjoyed interviews there + generalist focus more). Have heard rough stories bout all three firms but would rather work at a place that is harsh but direct in feedback than somewhere where its all good until you get blindsided in review. S&C may have slightly more lay prestige if you care about that also.
No law firm has “lay prestige” because laypeople don’t know law firms. The closest thing to “lay prestige” you are going to find is cravath, because your mom’s friends might google your internship and see that you work for “the top ranked firm in the world”. I remember vividly when I did a summer at Weil a family friend asked - totally seriously - why, after working so hard to get into HYS, I wasn’t working at the best law firm in the world. They assumed firm rankings work like law schools or consulting firms or even banks, where if it’s not the top 3 it’s some kind of massive step down.

Anyway. All that to say, it’s possible some future in-house interviewer will have a preconceived notion of one of these three excellent firms as better than the other, but you can’t possible predict which angle they might take. If you’re staying in the firm-side ecosystem, it won’t matter one bit.

With options like this, best to pick purely based on “culture”, likelihood of getting the group / work you want, etc.

I will say that Skadden is fairly well known for having an hours cutoff for bonuses, whereas I don’t believe either of the others does - although someone should fact check. I personally think that’s a big deal, but ymmv.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”