Wortb Staying or Going Over? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Wortb Staying or Going Over?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:40 pm

Throwaway for obvious reasons. Not sure if this fits with this sub and if it isn't let me know. I typically don't like to ask professional advice on Reddit, but it seems like there are a lot of professionals on this sub and I am looking for advice from other lawyers. Kinda long so buckle up.

Okay, preamble over. I work at a law firm that is "biglaw" in my rural midwestern state but probably would be considered midlaw in most states. 80+ attorneys. I work in a satellite office with only 5 other attorneys. We do general civil defense work. I've been out of law school for five years and civil defense has made up a large part of my practice. It is the type of work that I like doing. I previously worked at a small firm of about 20 attorneys doing the same work. However, probably a week into practicing law, a partner stuck me with a plaintiff's contingent fee case and it drug on for two years after I filed the complaint. It was a total loser and everyone at the firm kinda washed their hands of it and left it with me. It murdered my collections because it was a fairly complex case, and it was still raging when I left two years ago. Honestly, nothing on earth is a stinker to me quite like a bad Plaintiff's case. I probably had over $150k in that sucker that I just took a bath on every year. I got good reviews and bonused, but the case really stressed me out to the point of insanity and was a big reason for my leaving.

So I go to my new firm, which is a definite upgrade in terms of prestige and pay. Let's say I make $90k a year. However, on my first day working, literally my first day of orientation, one of the partners says he has heard great things about me and wants to put me on this case that he has. Wanting to work with the partner and not knowing anything really, I agree and feel as if I need to do this to get in good with this partner and need the work ya know? Later, I find out that this is another Plaintiff's contingent fee case. And let's just say that it resembled the one at my last firm and my partner has totally washed his hands of the case. I've taken every deposition and it has blown up into a time consuming and complicated matter. I have poured a ton of money and time into it. This is the only contingent fee case going on at the firm

Our bonus system is based on collections, money in the door by midnight on December 31. If I bring in X amount of money, I get a percentage of any amount of money I bring over Y. I assume a lot of firms have a similar setup. Well, at the end of the year I have brought in juuuust under enough to qualify for a bonus. I got nothing. If you apply my normally hourly rate to the hours I have put into this case and pay me those hours, I hit about a $25k bonus. However, because money doesn't collected until the end of a contingent case, I don't get the benefit of that money and the year is over.

This has burned me so bad that it bugs me a fair amount of time away from the office. This bonus is what I work for all year, and I have been working my butt off with this case, I even billed the most of any associate in the firm, but I got nothing to show for it. Just a pat on the back, a "good job" and promise that when the case cashes in it will be all worth it. It just isn't satisfactory to me anymore. I worked at my old place and got my fair share of good jobs and attaboys and good reviews and "next years." I'm tired of that. I want my time compensated and it hasn't been. I kicked and screamed about it and no one has responded. I'm just fed up but I feel like kind of a diva.

To the crux, is this just normal? Should I suck it up? I told myself that if the case was still going on into 2021 that I would start looking for new employment opportunities, but then the pandemic hit. Is this not a big deal and am I just overreacting? Should I just shut up, try again, and be happy that I have a job? Or is this a real problem that would cause an attorney to leave? Please give me your thoughts.

Also, FYI, this is totally anonymous. This account is not tied to my personal information in any way. Neither is this computer. Please fire away.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Wortb Staying or Going Over?

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:49 pm

Hard to comment other than to suggest settling cases that drag on with no resolution in sight.

Either settle or go to trial.

Wasn't this type of situation discussed when interviewing re: why do you want to leave your current firm ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”