Kirkland or Sidley Chicago? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Kirkland or Sidley Chicago?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:33 pm

2L, just went through OCI, got offers from Kirkland Chicago and Sidley Chicago. Very split.

Want to do corporate work, no idea what specifically. No particular love for private equity, but it looks interesting. Don't know if I want to stay in biglaw longterm, but would love to find that I love it and stay forever.

Kirkland's got higher rank, marginally more prestige, bigger deal volume. Seems like they give top compensation in Chicago market. But they're heavily private equity, seems like the culture's more competitive and prickly. Seems like your career depends heavily on which partner you hitch your ride to. Huge nonequity partner tier is a redflag. Also know a partner who lateraled out because he/she found the culture toxic.

Sidley's got a more diverse client base, it's basically got the same amount of prestige, and the culture seems better. I got along with my interviewers very, very well. I could see myself going out and having fun with these people. People seem to go and stay. Allegedly realistic partnership prospects. Single tier partnership. But closed-book compensation, comp most likely doesn't beat Kirkland.

What would you do?

Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland or Sidley Chicago?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:46 pm

Which one do you think your personality matches?

In Chicago, it's Kirkland and then everyone else so I'd heavily lean toward it as a default, but it's not worth you feeling awful about the people you work with.

FYI, I'm at Kirkland, and the upper-year people are fine. If anything, it's the hard-charging juniors coming here based on a hard-charging reputation who bother me. A significant minority talk about work while at work and then find excuses to talk about work while off.

LizardMilitia

New

Post by LizardMilitia » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:34 pm

I was making this same choice last month and I went Kirkland. Don't know if it was the right choice since it's not summer yet lol but I'll help as much as I can. I was in basically the exact same position as you, could have written your post myself (except that socially I didn't see a difference in how well I got along with interviewers at Sidley vs. Kirkland, although I share your culture concerns).

I chose Kirkland for two main reasons. The first is that it just made sense to me to join the "best" firm I got an offer from because you can always lateral down if needed. The second is that I really wanted to have a social environment at work, and Sidley really pushed the whole "we're a family firm" "we all have kids" "we go home at 6" thing, which is absolutely fine but I got the feeling they were trying to sell me on that since I'm a woman. I don't actually want kids and wasn't into it, whereas Kirkland seemed more fun and they talked about all going to the bar together after work. Just depends on which environment you prefer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:29 pm

It's extremely early to be thinking about partner, but it is the reality that part of your compensation is the (very small) chance of making it. If you do, the profits at kirkland, at least for now, are double those at Sidley. That should factor in, at least somewhat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:31 pm

LizardMilitia wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:34 pm
Sidley really pushed the whole "we're a family firm" "we all have kids" "we go home at 6" thing, which is absolutely fine but I got the feeling they were trying to sell me on that since I'm a woman. I don't actually want kids and wasn't into it
good for you. they sound patronizing and sexist.

Also the reality is that pretty much everywhere in chicago clears out by 6, it's just that you're taking calls or work from home later.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:56 am

I had this same choice and went Sidley and was very happy. I liked the people better when I interviewed and I was really happy there. You’ll get paid more at Kirkland perhaps, but I had no regrets when I was at Sidley about being there (even during bonus season). I’ve now moved to a different city so I’m at a new firm but I loved Sidley.

Toursaucier

New

Post by Toursaucier » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:09 pm

This is about as close to a culture-pay trade off as you can find. Tie best firms in Chicago by a significant margin. I had those choice and chose Sidley because I thought there was a better chance of being happier there. Reality is that if you bill big hours at either place, you’re going to make more in Chicago than associates at the top NY shops. Kirkland it’s bigger bonuses in general. Based on my observation, people at sidley treat each other better/it’s a nicer place to work.

The big non-equity thing is a misnomer. Kirkland non equity are just senior associates with a cool title. Lateral market is well aware of this. Easier to make equity at Sidley but certainly not “easy.” Sidley counsel tougher to make than Kirkland non equity.

I get the draw to both places. I’m not a gunner type and wanted to be in a more relaxed environment while still doing high end work so I did Sidley. I know people who went to Kirkland and loved i and others who hated it. I don’t know many who went to Sidley, hated it, but loved another biglaw firm (plenty go and hate it and biglaw generally).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:15 am

Take the guaranteed bonus. Several classmates from Sidley migrated because of it (after they missed on 10s of thousands)

Toursaucier

New

Post by Toursaucier » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:12 pm

What grad year that had several Chicago classmates leave sidley for Kirkland?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”