3L BigLaw Recruiting 2020-2021 Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Lawschool2021

New

3L BigLaw Recruiting 2020-2021

Post by Lawschool2021 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:27 am

Dear all:

I hope this email finds you well.

I am currently a rising 3L at a lower tier 2. Unfortunately, my summer associate program was cancelled due to COVID-19, but I am still hopeful that I can achieve a BigLaw position for next fall. Does anyone have any insight on how to proceed? I am in the top 10% of my class, journal experience, RA for two professors, and am interested in corporate. I have worked very hard for the past two years for this, and therefore, I hope to gain some knowledge on the application process during this challenging time.

Thanks.

biglaw_advice

New

Re: 3L BigLaw Recruiting 2020-2021

Post by biglaw_advice » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Definitely a tough spot to be in, but I'm curious - what did the firm who offered you the summer associate position say about coming back after graduation? I think the best advice on how to proceed would depend on what the firm told you and whether there is any option of going back there. Assuming not, then I would reach out to alums of your school who are at big firms and ask them to speak on the phone. You'll receive a lot of rejections and no-answers, but if you find one lawyer willing to help, then you're in good shape. Top 10% is a great selling point. Here's some more tips and advice on reaching out to alums and a sample email that you could of course change to reflect the fact you already had a 2L summer associate position lined up, etc. https://biglawadvice.com/2018/10/09/sam ... for-alums/

Lawschool2021

New

Post by Lawschool2021 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:39 pm

Thank you for your note.

Unfortunately, they did not provide a full-time offer, nor did they provide a stipend for the summer. I have emailed over 200 firms, and have received a limited amount of responses.

Do you have any insight on how I can relay the cancellation of my SA program in a cover letter as a rising 3L?

Also, I met with some alums from my school this summer, but no one really offered to help as far as reaching out to the recruiting team at their Firm. Any insight on how to proceed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:08 am

3L at T20. The big law firm I was supposed to work for cancelled its summer program, so I expanded my search to mid/small law firms in undesirable secondary/tertiary markets. I ended up at a ~30 attorney firm paying 100k+ starting, ~1800 billable hours, and I’m working for them during my 3L year.
You might have to go down this path. BigLaw firms are inundated with lateral applications from actual attorneys right now and have no clue what they are going to do about the 2L summer class. Unfortunately, I’m not sure they care about how hard 3Ls worked up to this point, as some firms are on the verge of collapse —especially if clients stop paying bills.

So I’d suggest changing your strategy and lowering your expectations for your first job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:08 am
3L at T20. The big law firm I was supposed to work for cancelled its summer program, so I expanded my search to mid/small law firms in undesirable secondary/tertiary markets. I ended up at a ~30 attorney firm paying 100k+ starting, ~1800 billable hours, and I’m working for them during my 3L year.
You might have to go down this path. BigLaw firms are inundated with lateral applications from actual attorneys right now and have no clue what they are going to do about the 2L summer class. Unfortunately, I’m not sure they care about how hard 3Ls worked up to this point, as some firms are on the verge of collapse —especially if clients stop paying bills.

So I’d suggest changing your strategy and lowering your expectations for your first job.
How’d you go about looking for these firms?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawschool2021

New

Post by Lawschool2021 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:16 am

Does anyone know about the employment stats for those who graduate from the Georgetown Law LLM Program in Securities and Financial Reg?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 am

Lawschool2021 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:16 am
Does anyone know about the employment stats for those who graduate from the Georgetown Law LLM Program in Securities and Financial Reg?
Best to contact Georgetown for employment / placement information regading this LLM program. Since the website for this Georgetown LLM program states that it is mainly a part-time program for practicing attorneys, my best guess is that there is little--if any at all--recruitment for Georgetown LLM in Securities and Financial Regs--but this is just a guess.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:00 am

I know someone who did this LLM immediately after graduation and went from it to a job at the SEC, but I have no idea how representative that is (or what role other experience/connections they had at the SEC before the LLM played; I think they had interned there during a law school summer), so I agree with Canadian Wolf, contact them and ask for placement information. If they don't want to give it to you or can't give you anything specific, that's usually a bad sign.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”