My summer firms are in denial about coronavirus Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

My summer firms are in denial about coronavirus

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:46 am

I'm not sure how unique this problem is or if other people are experiencing it but not talking about it. I've split this summer at two large-ish firms in a mid-size city in the South. They wouldn't be considered Big Law, but they're elite firms in this region (they only hire from the top of the class at local law schools).

I've been shocked at how these firms have dealt with Covid. They asked everyone to come back to the office as soon as the state allowed office buildings to reopen--even though I know some attorneys were not actually comfortable coming back. Many older partners, and even some associates, who I assume are politically conservative, do not wear masks in the office. They've been scheduling lunches for summers and groups of attorneys at restaurants. This all makes me very uncomfortable because my own family is being much more careful and mostly staying home, but I've felt like I had to play along.

Obviously this reflects the fact that I'm in the South, where many people are not taking the virus seriously. But I would have thought these regionally prestigious firms would be more progressive and sophisticated in their response to this crisis. It makes me doubt their leadership, and has made the whole summer more stressful than it needed to be.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a sign that I really shouldn't work at one of these firms if I get an offer?

kobe1020

Bronze

Re: My summer firms are in denial about coronavirus

Post by kobe1020 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:22 pm

I think realistically speaking it's not dangerous anymore. But to your question - yes I would not take a job here if they just do not care about how employees feel or don't even bother to ask, or just act like it's nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 23, 2021 11:20 pm

kobe1020 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:22 pm
I think realistically speaking it's not dangerous anymore. But to your question - yes I would not take a job here if they just do not care about how employees feel or don't even bother to ask, or just act like it's nothing.
OP posted last summer, when it was very dangerous.

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Sun May 23, 2021 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:20 pm
kobe1020 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:22 pm
OP posted last summer, when it was very dangerous.
Accidental anon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”