Publishing While in BigLaw Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Lauraaaa

New

Publishing While in BigLaw

Post by Lauraaaa » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:39 pm

Wondering if anyone has experience with this? I saw some other threads that were specifically on how to get published. I guess my question is more about the drafting process rather than how to submit to journals etc. - I'm a junior / mid level associate so would ideally like to partner up with a partner / senior associate / law school prof to provide guidance / general background while I do most of the research and drafting. My firm doesn't have a formal process for this (don't think most firms do?) but not sure if reaching out to a partner out of the blue and asking them to take on more work is a good idea and I'm guessing law profs have students / research assistants for this stuff. Would appreciate any thoughts / experiences.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: Publishing While in BigLaw

Post by gregfootball2001 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:10 pm

You'll have to do 90+% of the work. Draft the article first (i.e., have a completely finished and polished draft), then approach the partner you want to work with. Tell them that you drafted an article and ask whether they'd like to co-author. If they're swamped they'll say no, and otherwise they'll be happy that you did all the work. They'll review it, change it a little (or a lot, depending on the partner), and then you can send it to the appropriate firm newsletter/your PR firm/where ever you want to publish it.

Also, all of your articles are likely to be with people at your firm, because professors already have law students helping them out, and professors primarily want to publish 30+ page, cited articles, which are very different (and take waaaaay more time) than your typical Law360 article.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”