Options if not a rainmaker Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Options if not a rainmaker

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 pm

I'm a mid-level associate at an Am Law-100 firm in Dallas. I work in a practice group where it is (at least in theory) difficult or impossible to build a book of business without government legal experience (white collar). Unlike a lot of people in Biglaw, I actually really love my job. I work long hours but manage my time well and don't mind being busy. I'm not expected to be on call all the time and I don't have to bill the kinds of hours one might at a Cravath firm. My professional feedback has been very positive and partners like staffing me on cases. However....

I'm nervous that if I an unable to build a book of business I will eventually be forced out of any law firm. I'm actually okay with being "of counsel" or an income SH. Are there firms where this is realistically a possibility in the long run for someone that is hard-working and enjoys the general law-firm framework?

objctnyrhnr

Re: Options if not a rainmaker

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat May 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 pm
I'm a mid-level associate at an Am Law-100 firm in Dallas. I work in a practice group where it is (at least in theory) difficult or impossible to build a book of business without government legal experience (white collar). Unlike a lot of people in Biglaw, I actually really love my job. I work long hours but manage my time well and don't mind being busy. I'm not expected to be on call all the time and I don't have to bill the kinds of hours one might at a Cravath firm. My professional feedback has been very positive and partners like staffing me on cases. However....

I'm nervous that if I an unable to build a book of business I will eventually be forced out of any law firm. I'm actually okay with being "of counsel" or an income SH. Are there firms where this is realistically a possibility in the long run for someone that is hard-working and enjoys the general law-firm framework?
Is an ausa stint not an option?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”