Opinions on estate planning/t&e practice? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Opinions on estate planning/t&e practice?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:38 pm

I'm a first year at a V20 firm. I'm considering leaving already because I don't love the firm and accepting a job offer at a lower-ranked Amlaw 200 firm to do T&E. What would my job prospects be after a few years doing this? I don't like my practice and think I might enjoy going in-house at some point, but am not sure if T&E will allow me to do anything other than T&E after a few years dedicated to it. Input is welcome. Thanks.

soft blue

Bronze

Re: Opinions on estate planning/t&e practice?

Post by soft blue » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:40 pm

Family friend is a T&E partner at a lower AmLaw 200 in a secondary / tertiary market. If you can get along with rich people and drive business (good relationship with foundations, clients will proactively recommend you, work well with accountants) it can be a pretty great life. Emotional intelligence levels required are off the charts and your clients are very used to having it their way, though. You also have to enjoy the tax work -- both doing estate work and tax / trust planning. He has to fly to clients probably ~10 times a year because they expect their lawyer will come to them on short/no notice. That said, hours are v. low relative to typical biglaw partner.

That said, skills are non-transferable and it can be BRUTAL to build a book of business (like, going to lots of conventions and doing CLEs for accountants, etc) until you hit it. Best option would be going to a HNW centric "investment and wealth management" firm or a trust company type deal.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”