When Did You Have it mostly figured out Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Hours and Compensation, Career Growth Potential, Company Culture, Getting Hired, Types of Practices- general vs specialty vs complementary, Small & Midsized Firm reviews & experiences)
Anonymous User

When Did You Have it mostly figured out

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:30 pm

I’m a fairly junior lawyer.
Unsurprisingly, most assignments are new/difficult. One day I’d like to know enough to feel comfortable opening my own firm/partnering with others to do so. Probably in the personal injury space.

To the more senior lawyers.

How long did it take for you to feel “comfortable” with your practice?
Even if you have not/don’t want to open your own firm, when did you realize you knew enough to be able to legitimately feel you had mastered your craft?
I recognize we are always learning and things are evolving, but you know what I mean.

(I’m posting annon because people at my job know my handle on here and I should be billing rn.)

Anonymous User

Re: When Did You Have it mostly figured out

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:30 pm
I’m a fairly junior lawyer.
Unsurprisingly, most assignments are new/difficult. One day I’d like to know enough to feel comfortable opening my own firm/partnering with others to do so. Probably in the personal injury space.

To the more senior lawyers.

How long did it take for you to feel “comfortable” with your practice?
Even if you have not/don’t want to open your own firm, when did you realize you knew enough to be able to legitimately feel you had mastered your craft?
I recognize we are always learning and things are evolving, but you know what I mean.

(I’m posting annon because people at my job know my handle on here and I should be billing rn.)
20+ lawyer here. Somewhere between year 2 and year 5 is when the "click" happened and things started making a lot more sense.

You need to spend those early years developing friendships with coworkers, including fellow juniors, some mids, and an occasional senior associate. Because those are the folks you can run your allegedly dumb questions by as you gradually learn the ropes. Also develop any mentorship relationships with lawyers outside the firm. The more people you can go to with what you think are silly questions, the more you can spread them around.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Small & Midsized Firms”