Does transactional work exist outside of biglaw? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Hours and Compensation, Career Growth Potential, Company Culture, Getting Hired, Types of Practices- general vs specialty vs complementary, Small & Midsized Firm reviews & experiences)
KarlRemarks

New

Does transactional work exist outside of biglaw?

Post by KarlRemarks » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:29 pm

Hi all, I'm a 0l, considering a career in transactional law after burning out as a legal assistant in a litigation boutique. I've read that transactional work is rare outside of biglaw, and that it can be difficult to find if you don't attend a t14 school. How true is this? Do midlevel firms have a substantial transactional practice?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Does transactional work exist outside of biglaw?

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:17 pm

It certainly exists and midlevel shops. I'm at a midsized firm in a small market. About 1/2 of our folks are transactional (excluding estate planning). Who else does Operating Agreements or SaaS stuff for smaller ma and pa places? Lots of real estate stuff to be had too at smaller shops as well.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:01 am

Absolutely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:59 pm

Biglaw partner. While public M&A and certain types of finance/capital markets work don't really exist outside biglaw, many firms outside of biglaw have very robust transactional practices, and many handle matters that are quite sophisticated. Some are even better than biglaw at certain transactional practices; for example, I'd rather have Allen Matkins handle a real estate transaction than a generic V100 firm.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:59 pm
Biglaw partner. While public M&A and certain types of finance/capital markets work don't really exist outside biglaw, many firms outside of biglaw have very robust transactional practices, and many handle matters that are quite sophisticated. Some are even better than biglaw at certain transactional practices; for example, I'd rather have Allen Matkins handle a real estate transaction than a generic V100 firm.
This. Will also add that for M&A, VC, etc. midlaw and small firms sometimes do very sophisticated, biglaw-quality work but often play towards the lower/earlier-stage end of the market. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and that type of work can engender better WLB than working on mega-deals but the difference is something to be aware of.

goatee87

New

Post by goatee87 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:38 pm

A lot of investment advisory work is done by small or mid-sized firms. Think fund formations, syndications, etc.

Also, non-tech M&A deals under $50 million

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Small & Midsized Firms”