Recommendartion needed for legal research and writing class Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Hours and Compensation, Career Growth Potential, Company Culture, Getting Hired, Types of Practices- general vs specialty vs complementary, Small & Midsized Firm reviews & experiences)
rcharter1978

Gold

Recommendartion needed for legal research and writing class

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:15 am

I'm looking for a class to sharpen and further develop my research and writing skills.

I figured this might be a good forum since a lot of you may be in the position of having to constantly learn.

So far I've mostly seen paralegal programs but I'm not sure if there is a better or more cost effective option. I'm licensed to practice in california but I haven't seen any classes aimed at licensed attorneys.

Thanks!

Mods please feel free to move this if it's not in the right place. I didn't see a forum that was a better fit.

nixy

Gold

Re: Recommendartion needed for legal research and writing class

Post by nixy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:32 am

Why do you want an actual class? That seems a little like overkill. I would think that going through some of the legal writing books out there (the classic suggestion is anything by Brian Garner) would be a place to start.

You could also look into CLEs on legal writing - I know my state (not CA) has offered them and has a lot of recorded CLEs available. They’re not cheap but not more expensive than taking a class. CLEs on appellate practice might fit too, since that’s so writing/research heavy.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Re: Recommendartion needed for legal research and writing class

Post by Fireworks2016 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:12 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:15 am
I'm looking for a class to sharpen and further develop my research and writing skills.

I figured this might be a good forum since a lot of you may be in the position of having to constantly learn.

So far I've mostly seen paralegal programs but I'm not sure if there is a better or more cost effective option. I'm licensed to practice in california but I haven't seen any classes aimed at licensed attorneys.

Thanks!

Mods please feel free to move this if it's not in the right place. I didn't see a forum that was a better fit.
I would start with Point Taken or Point Made by Ross Guberman. I find both books extremely helpful for improving my writing. If you need something more intensive, than maybe look for CLEs or something like that? Especially on the research end, Westlaw and Lexis are always running CLEs about efficient and effective legal research.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Small & Midsized Firms”