Covid salary bump? Forum

(Discuss Advantages vs Disadvantages, Making the Switch From Private Practice to In-House, Compensation & Hours, Work-Life balance, In-House Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Covid salary bump?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:55 pm

So I am a more senior in house attorney (class of 2010) and I have been getting a lot of recruiter calls. The base salaries seem to be a lot higher than when I entered my current role (pre-covid). Am wondering if I should pursue a change to get a major pay bump or use an offer for leverage with current employer. For example, I started in my current role at $200k + 15% cash bonus, recruiters calling with base salaries in the high 200's + cash + equity.

Is anyone else seeing this change in in-house salaries in the covid job market?

Anonymous User

Re: Covid salary bump?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:05 pm

*bumping this*
Wondering if anyone is seeing Covid bumps or COL increases? I'm 6 YOE product counsel at non-FAANG tech making 200-210 cash comp + RSUs. I've been hearing from recruiters, but not chasing them down. Any thoughts on how that measures up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:59 am

Yes, this is real. I'm in house and am seeing the same thing. We lobbied for and got a substantial raise across the department last year but the recruiter calls are showing even higher salaries this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:55 pm
So I am a more senior in house attorney (class of 2010) and I have been getting a lot of recruiter calls. The base salaries seem to be a lot higher than when I entered my current role (pre-covid). Am wondering if I should pursue a change to get a major pay bump or use an offer for leverage with current employer. For example, I started in my current role at $200k + 15% cash bonus, recruiters calling with base salaries in the high 200's + cash + equity.

Is anyone else seeing this change in in-house salaries in the covid job market?
Yes. Salaries have been going up. Some of it is a delayed reaction to law firm salary bumps. Not as uncommon as one might think to go back to biglaw, and there were in-house folks making $200k that were looking at $500k+ as biglaw counsel. There's been a general issue with retention at many big companies (not just law), which has also helped spur raises.

At the same time, this can be very company/industry specific. The tech industry was actually helped by COVID era, while energy industry was hammered but is now roaring back.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “In-House”