In-House Dilemma Forum

(Discuss Advantages vs Disadvantages, Making the Switch From Private Practice to In-House, Compensation & Hours, Work-Life balance, In-House Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

In-House Dilemma

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:57 pm

Hey all. I am a c/o 2015 associate at a V30 in a major market in the credit/finance group. Got a what I think is a pretty incredible offer with a hedge fund:

$300k base
$150k bonus (half of which is deferred for one year)
The base/bonus steps down/up $50k respectively for the first three years (i.e., Year 2: $250k base/$200k bonus, Year 3: $200k base, $250k bonus)
4% 401k match
Great benefits
Not a 9-5 job, but sounds like relatively little work outside of 9:00am to 6:30pm

Gave notice at my firm earlier this week, and they are now pulling out all of the stops to get me to stay, including the promise of a future special counsel title and "an adjustment of hours" (whatever this means) in an attempt to address my complaint about the workload.

I should obviously just take this offer and run right? I guess I am a bit flattered/caught off guard at the forcefulness with which the partners in my group are trying to convince me to stay. But ultimately, how could I really ever turn down an in-house offer that doesn't involve any sort of pay cut.

Would be curious for folks' views/opinions.

kariyava

New

Re: In-House Dilemma

Post by kariyava » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:25 pm

I agree, it's a no brainer to take it

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:43 pm

I'd take the in-house offer for sure. Easy call.

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:36 pm

Curious - what’s driving the base / bonus steps?

I get total comp does not change but that seems a bit odd

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:41 pm

my only question is what goes into the "bonus."

like is it "performance-based" (your performance, the fund's performance, etc)? or is this a number they've guaranteed, in writing, they'll pay, and you just get it at the end of the year

hedge funds burn their people on comp, like all the time. so if it's the former---performance-based---and they've just quoted $150K with steps to you without committing to specific figures in writing, I would definitely not assume you're gonna get all of it at the end of the year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:43 pm

Hi OP, curious whether you accepted this offer and if so, what the WLB has been like and whether you regret your decision at all?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “In-House”