Two offers - what should I be thinking? Forum

(Discuss Advantages vs Disadvantages, Making the Switch From Private Practice to In-House, Compensation & Hours, Work-Life balance, In-House Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Two offers - what should I be thinking?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:40 am

Class of 2019 corporate Biglaw associate with two in-house offers - help me think through this?

Offer 1 — $180k base, no standardized bonus program (was told it’s a case by case assessment each year based on individual and corporate performance but no target percentage per se), $50k RSUs vesting over three years. I’d be the second lawyer, answering to the GC. Very startup vibes but get the sense (and was explicitly told) that the first years the company was poorly managed, and now they’ve brought in new/more experienced leadership. Everyone I interacted with seemed fine and professional. The company’s business is in the tech/biotech space - would like to have both sectors as options moving forward in my career.

Offer 2 - $190k base, current bonus structure would be an extra month’s pay but they are planning on establishing a more US-standard bonus program in 2022 that would be cash and equity, $130k worth of options. Foreign-based company - I’d be their first US attorney. Immediate focus would be supporting sales, but a lot of potential for expanding the role (I used to live in the country the company is based in, speak the language fluently, know the culture etc.). The company seems very well run, a healthy corporate culture, really liked everyone I interacted with. Firmly in the tech space.

I think the bottom line is that both options are great and I’d be happy with either — but I’m leaning towards offer 2 mostly because their business seems to have more potential, liked the people better, and think that my cultural advantages might make it easier for me to grow my role as the company grows and end up punching above my years of experience.

Is there something else I should be thinking about?

If you think it’s relevant - mostly motivated to leave my Biglaw firm because of hours and constant on-call. I think both offers would be a significant improvement in work/life balance and probably pretty close to one another in that regard.

TIA!

Anonymous User

Re: Two offers - what should I be thinking?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:47 am

Just from what you said, it sounds like A is flaky and B pays more anyway, so this shouldn't be a hard choice?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Seems like option 2 is miles ahead of option 1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:48 pm

As someone in the same class year, I'm curious about how you got these offers. I'd love to go in house but seems like most places are looking for at least three years of experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:48 pm
As someone in the same class year, I'm curious about how you got these offers. I'd love to go in house but seems like most places are looking for at least three years of experience.
I applied and interviewed with several places that said they were looking for 3-5 years. Offer 1 I applied to directly off of LinkedIn (they said they were looking for 2-5years) and Offer 2 was from a recruiter email.
With how aggressively law firms are recruiting lateral mid levels, I got the sense that the in-house market is tough for companies right now - if you’re looking to make moves I wouldn’t hesitate to apply to places that say 3-5 years and see what happens. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “In-House”