Prior Career Impact on Going In-House Forum

(Discuss Advantages vs Disadvantages, Making the Switch From Private Practice to In-House, Compensation & Hours, Work-Life balance, In-House Reviews & Experiences)
tahssit

New

Prior Career Impact on Going In-House

Post by tahssit » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:12 pm

Current first-year corporate associate and looking for advice on when I can realistically jump in-house. I knew I wasn't a biglaw lifer and went in knowing my life would not look like I wanted it to, but I'm missing out on far more of my kids' first years than I'm okay with. I'll stick it out a bit longer (i.e., 2 years if I have to do so), but would appreciate some perspective on whether my first career will enable me to move in house sooner than a K-JD.

First career ended at the middle management level. 10ish direct reports, managing projects in multiple time zones, and stellar recommendations from my then-boss. Will this experience perk potential employers interests even if I have less-than-expected biglaw experience or am I pretty much in the same place as any other first or second-year corporate associate when I go to apply?

FWIW, I'm not gunning to be a GC someday. Perfectly happy to never have a big-time career if it means more time spent watching my kids grow, so not concerned about limiting my future prospects. More focused on getting a decent in-house gig that pays well enough that I can give my kids a bit better than the lower middle class childhood I had and ensure that they don't have to take me in to keep me out of the poorhouse when I'm old and gray.

kaiser

Gold

Re: Prior Career Impact on Going In-House

Post by kaiser » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:54 am

The most common timeframe for biglaw attorneys going in-house is around 4 to 6 years in. If you search for in-house positions online, the large majority will have an experience requirement of around 4-6 or 5-7 years for the more junior in-house roles. Every now and then you will see a particularly junior role that only requires 2-3 years of experience, but those are less common and highly competitive since so many more associates meet that criteria. Thats not to say its impossible to go in house after 2 years, but it would be pretty difficult. For reference, I had 6 years experience when I made the move in-house, and had 2 offers to choose from. At both places (both of which were major companies with medium-sized legal departments), I would have been the most junior lawyer.

As to the other piece of your question, prior business experience can definitely help. If you are applying to companies in an industry where you worked before law school, that is a big selling point and would distinguish you from other candidates. I don't think it would make up for lack of legal experience if you are shooting to jump too early (i.e., doubt it would cause them to hire you after 2 years if the job is looking for 4-6 years). But assuming you are at least close to the desired range, it could put you above other comparable candidates.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “In-House”