Promotion Forum

(Discuss Advantages vs Disadvantages, Making the Switch From Private Practice to In-House, Compensation & Hours, Work-Life balance, In-House Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Promotion

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:24 am

As the title suggests, interested to hear any views on how best to position oneself for promotion in a large in-house legal department. Feeling that I am already outpacing the responsibilities of my relatively junior position. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: Promotion

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:59 pm

Get an offer somewhere else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:43 pm

Thanks - any particular reason you say that?

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:03 pm

Companies are not really incentivized to promote their employees (i.e., give them more cash, equity, benefits, etc.) unless they are (1) critical to the business and (2) irreplaceable (or costly/difficult to replace). If you get an offer somewhere else for more money, more senior title, etc. etc., you can offer your current employer the option to match or beat that offer. Otherwise, you will tell them you have got to do what is best for you and take the offer. This is similar to what one would do if at a non-market firm; in biglaw, you don't really see this because everyone is generally lockstep and compensated fairly similar (there are obvious exceptions, but those firms are not ones that fit within this context as there are other reasons for taking opportunities with such firms beyond compensation).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “In-House”