Litigation Skills for Exit Forum

(Discuss Advantages vs Disadvantages, Making the Switch From Private Practice to In-House, Compensation & Hours, Work-Life balance, In-House Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Litigation Skills for Exit

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:39 am

What sort of skills or specialties should a person accrue if he’s a litigator interested in eventually going in-house? I know opportunities are few and far between, but are there any highly-desirable skill sets that might help?

johndhi

Bronze

Re: Litigation Skills for Exit

Post by johndhi » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:01 pm

Times when you are exposed to and interact with in-house attorneys, and more importantly, in-house colleagues in other departments like finance (damages models), marketing, PR, etc., so you can reliably say you enjoy cross-functional work and being exposed to different parts of the business.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:10 pm

Litigators often spend a great deal of their time solving problems (pre-litigation) for their clients. I often explain to business folks that I am a professional problem solver as opposed to legal counsel as most things that get to you are pre-litigation matters or have no legal implications at all (you will be surprised how often you are tapped by other verticals for your "sage experience"... business people generally feel comfortable talking things over with counsel and getting the proverbial "thumb's up" even if no legal advice is being procured). The key here is that you have counseled enough clients with disputes to be an effective business partner at the all-hands conference and deal tables.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:20 pm

Get as much direct contact with the in-house lawyers on your matters as possible, for two reasons: (1) so that you have a good understanding of what it takes to manage litigation from the in-house perspective (and can talk the talk in an interview), and (2) because that is one of the easiest way to get hired as an in-house litigator (i.e., the client knows/likes you, so when an in-house litigation role comes up, you are their first choice).

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:27 pm

Employment litigators definitely have the best in-house options. Patent/IP also seem to have solid in-house marketability.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hugerez

New

Post by hugerez » Fri May 14, 2021 1:29 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:27 pm
Employment litigators definitely have the best in-house options. Patent/IP also seem to have solid in-house marketability.
As a biglaw midlevel employment litigator in California, this has not been the case. Been applying since December for inhouse exit options with nothing to show for.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri May 14, 2021 6:11 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:27 pm
I'd agree with this. It seems like most L&E attorneys have a good mix of experience in both transactional and litigation. And most L&E in-house roles I've seen posted require experience with wage and hour litigation, noncompetes, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “In-House”