deleted Forum

(Discuss Advantages vs Disadvantages, Making the Switch From Private Practice to In-House, Compensation & Hours, Work-Life balance, In-House Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

deleted

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:27 am

deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: short tenure - considering other in house opportunities after only 6 mo at current (first) in house job

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:27 pm

I have worked for both f100 company and much later was the ~40th employee of a startup that grew to be 500+. Here are my two cents.

First, I strongly advise against blaming short tenure on bad fit with management. F100 companies also have management—often a lot more layers of it than the startup. Any indication that you struggle with company management will be a huge red flag.

Rather, pick something that is unique to the startup and say that’s why you want to change. Eg in the cover letter say something like: “I currently work for X, a startup in Y field. While I enjoy (xyz) offered by an in-house position, I am looking for more long term stability than the startup is able to offer. As a result, f100 company would match my goals and abilities” or some bullshit like that. That way your issue is clearly confined to the startup and won’t raise a red flag for the f100. If pushed in an interview you say something about how the startup only had a few months of runway funding and always had to be concerned about the short term, etc.

Also, let me add that for startups of your size, there is so much turnover that if you stay for a year or two, you could very well end up being looked at as a senior employee... that is, you could gain seniority/respect/influence very quickly (1-2 yrs) in a startup, so if your problem is that you feel like you are missing influence in the company or something, you could try to wait it out.

I would just go ahead and apply. The worst that can happen is you don’t get a job you wouldn’t have applied for anyway. Also, the effect of leaving so soon depends on the rest of your resume— if it is loaded with 1 year stints it will raise a red flag.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “In-House”