In-house interview preparation Forum

(Discuss Advantages vs Disadvantages, Making the Switch From Private Practice to In-House, Compensation & Hours, Work-Life balance, In-House Reviews & Experiences)
Trunksgurl22

New

In-house interview preparation

Post by Trunksgurl22 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:37 pm

I have 7 video interviews with the whole IP team of a pharma company next week. I’m currently a 5th year at a low ranking V50 firm. The HR recruiter told me that they’re looking to hire relatively quickly during my screening interview. A partner I’m close with sent my resume to the head of the IP team (she’s his former client), and that’s how I got my foot in the door. The company is moving pretty quickly. My resume was sent to the head of the IP group less than two weeks ago. They’re also skipping the typical next step after the screening interview of having an interview with the departmental manager and going straight to interviews with the whole team. This is a IP litigation position. My previous firm did a lot of this company’s litigation work. I talked to the partners there, and they are all happy to give a good recommendation if asked. I really want to ace these interviews, because I’m pretty miserable at my current job. Any tips on how I should prepare? What kind of questions should I be expecting?

run26.2

Silver

Re: In-house interview preparation

Post by run26.2 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:03 pm

First off, I'd say don't get uptight about it. It sounds like the job is yours to lose. Don't stress out in the lead up, by overpreparing. Hit the high points below and you'll be well-enough prepared. They likely want to know what experiences you have and that you can communicate they've prepared you for the role there than you can recite a bunch of doctrine or case law (though I was asked by a business person (not a lawyer) in one of my interviews about which cases I relied upon in the most important opinion I worked on while clerking -- so I guess it's possible that they can do this, but I don't think it's worth trying to remember every fine point; I still got the job and couldn't remember all the cases I was asked about).

Second, think about matches from what you'll be doing in your role there and what you've done as a lawyer (or professional--IMO relevant past professional experience is more relevant for in-house than for a firm job) and be able to talk about that. Be able to communicate naturally about these items if asked open ended questions, and to respond to followups on them. Know the issues and be able to succinctly describe how you contributed to a good outcome.

Third, review your resume and try to anticipate questions they may ask. Anything on there is fair game, including interests, school, LR, etc. Be able to tie at least some of these to points you want to convey about yourself, your fit for the role, or overlap with the interviewer (in a natural way).

Fourth, talk to the partner who passed along your resume to see what intel he has about what the role and the group there is like.

Fifth, if you know who's interviewing you, read their bios. That might give you insight into what they're looking for, and also to take comfort in any overlap you have with people in the group.

Finally, I'd prefer natural to overly rehearsed, and a well-reasoned answer concocted on the spot. So, if nothing else, relax, rest up, and be yourself. As I said, the job seems yours to lose. Good luck.

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: In-house interview preparation

Post by 1styearlateral » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 am

As the poster above mentioned, if the position is for a litigation role, I would be prepared to speak extensively about major cases you’ve worked on (pleadings, motions, discovery, oral arguments/depos, if you have any under your belt). The worst thing an interviewer can hear from a candidate after asking what you’ve been working on is: “Oh, you know, tons of stuff.”

Personally, I think the strongest lit candidates can demonstrate that they know how to run a case independently and don’t need significant handholding/micromanagement.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “In-House”