Typical In-House Salary Package for Junior Lawyer? Forum

(Discuss Advantages vs Disadvantages, Making the Switch From Private Practice to In-House, Compensation & Hours, Work-Life balance, In-House Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Re: Typical In-House Salary Package for Junior Lawyer?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:17 pm

i went in-house as a 4th year in a quasi-legal role (mix of business and legal) in a large secondary market (SF/LA/Bos/Chi).

-10K signing
-10K bonus
- 6% 401K match

i transitioned from biglaw tech trans and the new role is also technology focused. no equity given the nature of the organization (happy to give more details if you want me to PM you). During my interview process i received offers between 180-300K, usually around 180-200K base with equity + bonus bringing it higher, but i turned a number of higher offers down for the opportunity to transition to a less purely legal role. incredibly happy i made the transition - work is now much more interesting, more control over my life, great people, great mission, and expanding my network in a very useful way.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i went in-house as a 4th year in a quasi-legal role (mix of business and legal) in a large secondary market (SF/LA/Bos/Chi).

-10K signing
-10K bonus
- 6% 401K match

i transitioned from biglaw tech trans and the new role is also technology focused. no equity given the nature of the organization (happy to give more details if you want me to PM you). During my interview process i received offers between 180-300K, usually around 180-200K base with equity + bonus bringing it higher, but i turned a number of higher offers down for the opportunity to transition to a less purely legal role. incredibly happy i made the transition - work is now much more interesting, more control over my life, great people, great mission, and expanding my network in a very useful way.
Please PM me with more info

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i went in-house as a 4th year in a quasi-legal role (mix of business and legal) in a large secondary market (SF/LA/Bos/Chi).

-10K signing
-10K bonus
- 6% 401K match

Also interested. Thanks.

PotatoSalad

New

Post by PotatoSalad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 pm

-10K signing
-10K bonus
- 6% 401K match

Me too please.

persia1921

New

Post by persia1921 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm

I would also appreciate a PM. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alleyoop86

New

Post by alleyoop86 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:19 pm

-10K signing
-10K bonus
- 6% 401K match

Would love a PM with more info as well, thanks!

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 pm

-10K signing
-10K bonus
- 6% 401K match

Please PM me with more info!

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Me, too, please?

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Me too. Actually, would welcome PMs from any posters on this thread. These all seem amazing.

Is any of this accessible to a general corporate associate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 pm

beautyistruth wrote:Me too. Actually, would welcome PMs from any posters on this thread. These all seem amazing.

I think much of it is. I have a specialty and put some spin in my application materials to highlight my general corporate experience, too, because that's a significant part of most in-house jobs to which I've applied.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:50 pm

-10K signing
-10K bonus
- 6% 401K match

PM please

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:58 pm

this thread makes me wish i went into corp and not lit

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:04 pm

lolwat wrote:this thread makes me wish i went into corp and not lit
FWIW, there are Product Liability and L&E in-house jobs on the lit side.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:10 pm

-10K signing
-10K bonus
- 6% 401K match

Also would love a PM if you don't mind! I'll be a junior corp associate in the fall

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 pm

I went in-house after 1.5 years in big law into a general corporate counsel role. Big law and the in-house gig were/are both in LA. Salary package:

-130k base
- Discretionary bonus (which I'm told varies between 10 and 25%)
- Stock options (which I'm told varies between 13-15% per year)
- No 401k match
- 16 PTO days through year 4

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I went in-house after 1.5 years in big law into a general corporate counsel role. Big law and the in-house gig were/are both in LA. Salary package:

-130k base
- No 401k match
Dude, awesome. Mind sharing which practice groups can best provide the opportunities to get a job like you did as a junior associate? (outside of tech trans, since I already know that seems best)

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks for all of the folks that have posted info. Understood that you don't want to divulge your practice area, but were you a corporate generalist when you were an associate? Did anyone specialize? Did anyone specialize and then go into a different area in house?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CiFULA

New

Post by CiFULA » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:11 am

-10K signing
-10K bonus
- 6% 401K match

also curious thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 am

shock259 wrote:Thanks for all of the folks that have posted info. Understood that you don't want to divulge your practice area, but were you a corporate generalist when you were an associate? Did anyone specialize? Did anyone specialize and then go into a different area in house?
OP here - I was in a general corporate practice at firm that's well-regarded in several corporate practice areas. Did mix of M&A (mostly public company), CapM (both issuer and UW, public and private), some PE, and then corporate governance and public company rep (SEC filings, etc.). No specific finance/restructuring experience, but knew enough about it to not sound like an idiot. Having this broad exposure to various subsets of corporate practice was a huge boost during the interview process bc I had a variety of things I could discuss with familiarity/specificity as needed. Now I'll basically be doing the same things I've been doing but for one client (and without billable hours!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:22 am

beautyistruth wrote:Me too. Actually, would welcome PMs from any posters on this thread. These all seem amazing.

Definitely available. Perhaps not as early as if you had tech trans experience but available nonetheless. Just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here -- offer did end up coming through (hallelujah!), so thought it'd be helpful to include this as an additional data point since this position is not in CA/NYC.

$150k base
$37.5k bonus (variable; pegged to performance of the company)
$30k in RSUs and options
$20k sign-on bonus
6% 401k match
Congrats OP! Will you take it? When I made the jump (I'm the West Coast anon from 1st page who moved in house before 3rd year), it was a pretty easy decision due to QOL reasons but that may not rank as high for some...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:18 am

omar.comin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I went in-house after 1.5 years in big law into a general corporate counsel role. Big law and the in-house gig were/are both in LA. Salary package:

-130k base
- No 401k match
Dude, awesome. Mind sharing which practice groups can best provide the opportunities to get a job like you did as a junior associate? (outside of tech trans, since I already know that seems best)
Thanks! I lucked out in that I did a mix of M&A, tech trans, and banking during my 1.5 years in big law, and the in-house role I got was for a mix of technology, finance, and general corporate governance. I definitely agree with the consensus that tech trans provides the "easiest" path in-house, followed by M&A. I generally wouldn't recommend a banking or finance practice group if the goal is to go in-house as a junior associate.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:31 am

-10K signing
-10K bonus
- 6% 401K match

also interested in a pm---thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:23 am

Someone alluded to this above, but how do in-house opportunities compare between lit and corp? I'm an incoming litigation associate in a large market. Are there specialties within lit that will set up better down the road for this stuff?

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Someone alluded to this above, but how do in-house opportunities compare between lit and corp? I'm an incoming litigation associate in a large market. Are there specialties within lit that will set up better down the road for this stuff?
There aren't as many litigation inhouse jobs as transactional. Just look at goinhouse.com. Most of the jobs are actually tech trans based. The rest are compliance, M&A, securities, or regulatory based. There are very few litigation related inhouse jobs.

I would try to get into some specialized regulatory work.It seems like there are some opportunities there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “In-House”