Controversial Ties/Reason for Switching Office Forum

(Discuss and share Interview tips, questions, dress code, resume/ cover letter/ LinkedIn suggestions, pre/ follow up procedures)
Anonymous User

Controversial Ties/Reason for Switching Office

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:00 am

I am a rising 3L. I received a big law offer after my summer in New York. I also enjoy shooting and collecting various firearms. Going to the range is an important part of my life; shooting is something I enjoy and it helps me manage stress. Because of New York's strict gun laws, I want to work somewhere else.

I have a callback interview with a firm in Georgia. I have no ties to Georgia. A major reason I want to live in Georgia is because of its gun laws. How do I navigate this in the interview? I do not plan on bringing it up, but if I am asked why I want to live in Georgia I am not sure what to say. Firearm ownership and recreational shooting is an unpopular pastime in this field and I am concerned that it will be held against me by an interviewer. I have other reasons for living in Georgia, but this is the biggest reason by far.

Anonymous User

Re: Controversial Ties/Reason for Switching Office

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:46 am

Fwiw I'm a 2A supporter at a major Atlanta based firm and my firm has been doing some pro bono work against guns. See also Paul Clement situation. So IOW, your gut reaction is correct. Don't bring up being a gun nut in an interview. Just talk about your other reasons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:46 am

Dupe

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:16 am

You will almost certainly be asked why you want to live in Georgia; talk about the other reasons. You’re not required to be comprehensive and give *all* your reasons. Your biggest reason would win you points with some interviewers but be held against you by others, so since it’s risky, avoid it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:54 pm

OP here,

Thanks everyone for your advice. I appreciate it. I will avoid talking about this in the interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:46 am
Fwiw I'm a 2A supporter at a major Atlanta based firm and my firm has been doing some pro bono work against guns. See also Paul Clement situation. So IOW, your gut reaction is correct. Don't bring up being a gun nut in an interview. Just talk about your other reasons.
FTR, I talked to an attorney at a big Florida firm about how ridiculous the Paul Clement situation was and the ideological zealotry of law school campuses, but he obviously leaned conservative (he had a HRC bobblehead in his office with her in prison clothes) which is why I felt it was safe to engage in that conversation in the first place. He also broached the topic first by asking about FedSoc on my resume. In big law interviews, always avoid politics and presume the people are liberal until proven otherwise.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:05 pm

I think it’s fine to mention shooting/hunting as a hobby and one of the reasons you are interested in Atlanta. Would not mention ownership though unless the interviewer brings it up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Big Red wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:05 pm
I think it’s fine to mention shooting/hunting as a hobby and one of the reasons you are interested in Atlanta. Would not mention ownership though unless the interviewer brings it up.
I think even mentioning hunting might make people not like you. It's unfair, but even in Atlanta, the biglaw crowd are mostly yuppie types.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:40 pm

There's no general answer here. TCR is to research your interviewers.

Some will appear conservative. You may get extra points if you talk about guns as the reason--they probably feel embattled and will like you (and almost certainly will not mention it in reviews, but will say you're great for other reasons). Look for federalist society, GOP politics, lots of kids, lack of lefty pro-bono, references to religion, etc. (you can also check on LinkedIn--conservatives are pretty easy to spot, and you probably can tell by their connections).

Others will have obvious progressive markers. I guess talk about how Georgia is diverse and changing and vibrant plus you hate cold weather and like cheaper rent? That kind of thing.

Some you will not be able to tell. I would assume these are typical average biglaw, which means they won't like guns.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:49 pm
Big Red wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:05 pm
I think even mentioning hunting might make people not like you. It's unfair, but even in Atlanta, the biglaw crowd are mostly yuppie types.
Might even backfire, IME liberals in red states (tho arguably GA is purple now) get very defensive and annoyed when ppl assume they are conservative. Just avoid the topic until you know them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:27 am

I'm a senior-level government lawyer, former law firm, in a very red state, with a long history of proudly representing law enforcement. I'm friends with a lot of guys (and gals) with guns and badges, and I love this type of work. Guess what my voting history is dating back to several elections: Obama, Obama, Clinton, Biden.

You sound like a New Yorker who doesn't know jack squat about Georgia or, frankly, the rest of the country. I know you're smarter than that, but that's how you will be perceived if you make dumb assumptions about people you know nothing about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “OCI”