Which V30 firms are GPA conscious? Which dip (way) below median? Forum

(Discuss and share Interview tips, questions, dress code, resume/ cover letter/ LinkedIn suggestions, pre/ follow up procedures)
itdobelikethat

New

Which V30 firms are GPA conscious? Which dip (way) below median?

Post by itdobelikethat » Mon May 23, 2022 3:20 pm

1L at Penn, below median (like way below median). Still waiting for the rest of my spring grades, but it realistically doesn't look good. My goal is big law in NYC.

Info: family in NYC (so strong ties), work experience, sociable, and don't believe I'll have an issue interviewing with firms — what I lack in test-taking ability I compensate for in sociability.

Pretty certain I'm way out of the league for V10. Which V30 firms should I target?

Wild Card

Silver

Re: Which V30 firms are GPA conscious? Which dip (way) below median?

Post by Wild Card » Mon May 23, 2022 3:44 pm

Jones Day dips deep. The issue is that this flexibility is offset by the relative smallness of its class size.

Very good V50s that are willing to stoop to your level are Willkie, Fried Frank, and Shearman.

jdoeman1234567

New

Post by jdoeman1234567 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:15 pm

itdobelikethat wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:20 pm
1L at Penn, below median (like way below median). Still waiting for the rest of my spring grades, but it realistically doesn't look good. My goal is big law in NYC.

Info: family in NYC (so strong ties), work experience, sociable, and don't believe I'll have an issue interviewing with firms — what I lack in test-taking ability I compensate for in sociability.

Pretty certain I'm way out of the league for V10. Which V30 firms should I target?
You probably shouldn't just target V30 firms if you are way below median. That's a pretty arbitrary cutoff. But I'd say Jones Day and Milbank are two of the best to target in that range. Winston & Strawn is a decent firm outside the V30 that isn't grade conscious at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:10 pm

jdoeman1234567 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:15 pm
itdobelikethat wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:20 pm

You probably shouldn't just target V30 firms if you are way below median. That's a pretty arbitrary cutoff. But I'd say Jones Day and Milbank are two of the best to target in that range. Winston & Strawn is a decent firm outside the V30 that isn't grade conscious at all.
Milbank may not qualify as an "easy score" anymore. At least at my t6, it's gotten much more selective in the last two years.

Edit: OP, look to Shearman, Wilkie, Fried Frank, Schulte Roth.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “OCI”