Below Median Lower T14 - how to mass mail? Forum

(Discuss and share Interview tips, questions, dress code, resume/ cover letter/ LinkedIn suggestions, pre/ follow up procedures)
Anonymous User

Below Median Lower T14 - how to mass mail?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:53 pm

Hi, I'm a 1L at a lower T14 (think MBDN) who will likely end up just below median (3.2 ish) after the year is over. Just starting to get worried a little about my shot at OCI... I want NYC transactional. I'm assuming this means my main strategy before OCI starts is going to be to mass mail/network as much as I can and submit applications as soon as they open (to firms not at my school's OCI). I am just wondering how to go about this in a way that doesn't come off as desperate or aggressive. I'm first gen and don't really know the nuances of how to network like this so I would appreciate any advice about this or OCI bidding in general. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Below Median Lower T14 - how to mass mail?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2022 2:03 pm

I'm at a peer school and based on our OCI GPA numbers it's pretty clear that 3.2 is fairly comfortable for generic NYC biglaw... You'd be roughly at the 35% percentile of your class, and V50 should be a fairly safe bet (think Willkie, Cadwalader, Schulte etc plus secondary offices of non-NY firms). Just interview well.

As for how to do pre-OCI, I'd go talk to either your career office or upperclassmen. But I recommend that you don't overthink it or overdo it; just drop your resume and express interest to the firms that start taking applications this summer. And sign up for informational interview with alums at the firms you're targeting, without the expectation that they'll give you a job or forward your resume. This takes the pressure off you, and if they like you they may want to help you anyway.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “OCI”