Choosing between a DE firm and big law in a secondary market? Forum

(Discuss and share Interview tips, questions, dress code, resume/ cover letter/ LinkedIn suggestions, pre/ follow up procedures)
unknown12345

New

Choosing between a DE firm and big law in a secondary market?

Post by unknown12345 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:17 am

Hi TLS

I received two offers during OCI, one from a AM100 firm in a southern city in a state I have ties to (Dad is from the area and grandpa is 2 hours away, I attended our prestigious state school and law school). But I also have an offer from one of the big four firms in DE.

I am confused by these vastly different options. I don't know anyone in DE. My immediate family lives in NYC, and I do have some friends in Philly. That said, I am fascinated by the prospect of doing really complex transaction work in DE. But, I am scared of pigeonholing myself into one geographical location this early in my career (unsure how realistic a fear this is). From what I understand, being DE counsel is quite narrow experience, and I may have trouble making a move outside of DE if I decide I do not like it/want to try another geographical location.

On the other hand, the AM100 offer is at a traditional big law firm in a state I have ties to (as I said, grandpa and extended family live there, parents own property, etc.). Most of my co-workers would be alumni from law school or undergrad. I don't see myself in this city forever either, but gaining admission to other nearby cities would be easier due to reciprocity.

If anyone had any insight that would help make this decision an easier one, I would love to hear it.

Anonymous User

Re: Choosing between a DE firm and big law in a secondary market?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 pm

Wilmington is objectively a depressing place to be. Is the salary dramatically different? I know the Big 4 pays 175. While you could commute from Philly it'll be expensive and time consuming. Realistically you will probably be happier in what I am assuming is Atlanta?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “OCI”