2021 OCI Strikeout Forum

(Discuss and share Interview tips, questions, dress code, resume/ cover letter/ LinkedIn suggestions, pre/ follow up procedures)
Anonymous User

2021 OCI Strikeout

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:53 pm

On the verge of strikeout. T10 Median, 1yr non-legal WE, 23 screeners, 2 CB, 1 Rej post CB, have been waiting for more than a week after the other CB. Is it still workable to start mass mailing NY firms at this point?

Anonymous User

Re: 2021 OCI Strikeout

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:05 pm

+1

purplegoldtornado

Bronze

Post by purplegoldtornado » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:53 pm
On the verge of strikeout. T10 Median, 1yr non-legal WE, 23 screeners, 2 CB, 1 Rej post CB, have been waiting for more than a week after the other CB. Is it still workable to start mass mailing NY firms at this point?
What is the risk of mass mailing vs the reward?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:09 pm

Is the resume book program same thing as mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 am

Wondering the same thing... I cannot even figure out how mass mail works. Am I supposed to just do every V100 firm's online application? I feel like I have already applied to so many.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 am
Wondering the same thing... I cannot even figure out how mass mail works. Am I supposed to just do every V100 firm's online application? I feel like I have already applied to so many.

+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:12 pm

For mass mailing, just go to every V100 firm's website, look to their page on hiring for their SA program, and see what it says about how to apply. It'll either be an email dump, a recruiting contact, or an online application portal. Whatever it is, use it to put in your resume, cover letter, and transcript. We're late in the hiring cycle, but there are always some firms that get fewer acceptances than they expect or have some people renege on offers.

I struck out at OCI and pre-OCI a year and a half ago and was still sending out apps until the end of August, when I was interviewed post-OCI by a V40 firm and got an offer.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 am

+1
You have to keep applying until you get a job, I'm afraid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:56 pm

CCN transfer here. Got literally 0 CBs from OCI, but post OCI I've been able to finagle myself one through some help with one of my friends. It's on Monday and I'm terrified. Worried about coming off as desperate, but I am--if this doesn't work, I feel like I'm screwed, mass mailing hasn't resulted in anything absent the boost. I guess it's good to have good friends, but after being told that you nearly have to actively try to not get a job at OCI here...it doesn't feel good. Fingers crossed, we're not in this alone--I wish I was so that nobody else felt like this, but I guess solidarity is worth something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:56 pm
CCN transfer here. Got literally 0 CBs from OCI, but post OCI I've been able to finagle myself one through some help with one of my friends. It's on Monday and I'm terrified. Worried about coming off as desperate, but I am--if this doesn't work, I feel like I'm screwed, mass mailing hasn't resulted in anything absent the boost. I guess it's good to have good friends, but after being told that you nearly have to actively try to not get a job at OCI here...it doesn't feel good. Fingers crossed, we're not in this alone--I wish I was so that nobody else felt like this, but I guess solidarity is worth something.
I was a CCN transfer last year, and I also nearly struck out--had only two callbacks between OCI and mass mailing. Best advice I can give you is to relax, and take solace in the fact that you've managed to get one callback, which is all you need.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I was a CCN transfer last year, and I also nearly struck out--had only two callbacks between OCI and mass mailing. Best advice I can give you is to relax, and take solace in the fact that you've managed to get one callback, which is all you need.
Thanks for that. I've been doing so much revisions of interview skills--I think it'll go really well, but I'm not gonna exhale until I have a job in hand :D

Birdman1330

New

Post by Birdman1330 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:33 pm

Hiring has been pretty tight this year so I feel you. Better to really blitz on the job stuff nearer to OCI. The farther you get away from OCI, the harder it will get. I only say so because I've advised a few friends who struck out and it generally gets tougher the longer that the process goes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:18 pm

How the hell do you mass mail? I can't even get my CSO to respond. I know how to mail merge with Word, but what is this "mass mail" stuff...?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:12 pm
For mass mailing, just go to every V100 firm's website, look to their page on hiring for their SA program, and see what it says about how to apply. It'll either be an email dump, a recruiting contact, or an online application portal. Whatever it is, use it to put in your resume, cover letter, and transcript. We're late in the hiring cycle, but there are always some firms that get fewer acceptances than they expect or have some people renege on offers.

I struck out at OCI and pre-OCI a year and a half ago and was still sending out apps until the end of August, when I was interviewed post-OCI by a V40 firm and got an offer.
@anon above this post... It is a bit confusing because it says mass mail - but just follow instructions on the site. If there is no online portal or email option, look the firm/office up on NALP and shoot an application email to the recruiter listed.

Also, my CSO said it's fine to email the same app you submit through online portal as long as the website doesn't explicitly say not to email/only use portal.

I got my only offer this week but until then was sending apps any way I could to every single firm on V100 (and that would just be the start if things weren't rolling my way before I moved to mid-size firms).

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Just want to follow up on this here. Just got my first offer from post-oci networking. It can be done, guys, I believe in y'all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Just want to follow up on this here. Just got my first offer from post-oci networking. It can be done, guys, I believe in y'all.
Congratulations! What vault range was it, just for reference?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Congratulations! What vault range was it, just for reference?
It was outside V100, but very happy with it. Loved meeting with the firm and everything I've heard--so I am excited for it. But, for what it's worth, I have a V10 screener later this week with a specialized group, so the process isn't even over. Lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:38 am

How do you even do post-OCI without seeming like you're begging for a job? I feel like I reek of desperation (which, tbh, I do).

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:32 pm

curious, how much of mass mailing involves sending snail mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:54 pm

jotarokujo wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:32 pm
curious, how much of mass mailing involves sending snail mail?
likely 0 - every firm has an online app or a recruiter email address somewhere

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:54 pm

Birdman1330 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:33 pm
Hiring has been pretty tight this year so I feel you. Better to really blitz on the job stuff nearer to OCI. The farther you get away from OCI, the harder it will get. I only say so because I've advised a few friends who struck out and it generally gets tougher the longer that the process goes.
FIY, firms hired way more people this year so hiring was NOT tight this year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “OCI”