Any interest in a LSAT proctor-like mp3/video? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PadawanLaw

New

Re: Any interest in a LSAT proctor-like mp3/video?

Post by PadawanLaw » Wed May 12, 2010 9:06 am

RC is one of those sections where you just get it or your don't. It's so hard to bring up those sections, so I feel his pain. I've been reading the Economist daily to help condition my mind to the longer passages that require your full attention.

As Zeigs said, be aware that this Proctor is extremely distracting if you are wearing headphones, ha. I advise you play it on a computer and just let it do its thing. Adjust the volume to a point where it doesn't sound like someone is standing over your shoulder coughing on you.

TheLuckyOne

Bronze

Post by TheLuckyOne » Wed May 12, 2010 5:54 pm

Amazing, PadawanLaw!!!!

The only thing is that one will get used to this particular sequence of distractions if s/he takes quite a few tests, so it will seize to be distracting. Of course, if you don't mind, you could make different versions of noises :D

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Wed May 12, 2010 8:12 pm

If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch and are willing to wait until after June, you'll have a series of 30 5-minute sequences that are randomly chosen from to create your unique 35 minute long proctor WITH the vocal commands placed in their correct spots.

If your test is before then... then yes, you are correct. It can become less random after a little.

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 pm

PadawanLaw wrote:Yea, I also have used it with earbuds and it is ridiculously distracting.

I can make 30-35 min versions. When are you taking the LSAT? June? October?

I actually am making an iPhone and iPod Touch version right now, which is taken up about all of my free-time besides studying. It definitely won't be ready before June, though.

After the June exam is done, I'll be releasing a new version of the Cacophony with slightly more realistic effects and I'll make the 30 mins - 35 mins for you as well.

The Ferris Bueller part made me laugh.
I am taking in June, so oh well. I don't need (hopefully) to rely on this; I'm going to throw in a PT or two at Starbucks/etc. for a really crazy distraction, but definitely in addition to using the cacophony. Probably should take those Starbucks scores with a grain of salt, because nothing could be that distracting on test day ;)

Thanks again, I'll repost in a few days when I take next PT using ambient cacophony.

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Thu May 13, 2010 7:48 am

I have to say, Zeigs, I'm using the new files (that I'm using for the iPhone app) with some earbuds and its way better than the last mp3. Less "they are coughing in my ear" and more "that person next to me is too sick to be in this room."

Let's say hypothetically, I had time to make a quick sample for you... how long would you want it? I know you are trying to reduce your time limit before the June test. 33 minutes? 30 minutes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Thu May 13, 2010 9:27 am

Hey Padawan, (heh, sounds like I'm a Jedi)

Right now I do all sections at 34 mins timed. I typically finish early in RC and right about on time for LR. Games are all over the map, sometimes 5 mins early, sometimes not at all (this is my wild card section clearly!). I chose 34 mins because it accounts for little things on test day that could be a problem (difficult desk making bubbling take more time, proctor misreading his clock, losing time dealing with the booklet, etc).

I think that 33 mins would be right for me, if you're up to it. I would like to get to 32 mins in the weeks leading up tot the test, and I've heard some people do 30 mins per section, but I don't know if that's realistic.

On the other hand, maybe in the interest of the June takers, you can just put out the 35 minute one and then take your time with the shorter ones, so that the most number of people are benefited. I can always just actually start my section 1, 2, 3, etc. minutes into the proctor cacophony.

Also, don't feel pressured to do this at all. Bear in mind that we're all strangers on the internet and what matters is for you to do well in your classes, to study and nail the LSAT, and to take care of your life. What you have put out ALREADY is GREAT, and definitely useful (going to use it this evening, with speakers instead of earbuds). So my advice is to only do this if it is a source of recreation/hobby and not a diversion nor is preventing you from studying.

Finally, will you make the sound files available as *.mp3 or similar for those of us who don't have iPhones, Blackberries, etc.?

When are you planning on taking the test, btw?

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Thu May 13, 2010 10:41 am

I appreciate the concern; I can assure you that they will only be done if I find spare time. My next semester of classes starts on Monday and I am just using the mp3's at the moment as a break from Practice Tests and an opportunity to learn a new software (I am moving over from ProTools to Logic for audio editing, so this is a great opportunity to learn Logic).

I am taking the June exam as well and the studying for it is coming along ok. If I take a break in these upcoming days and find that I have nothing left to edit, I'll try to make a 33-minute version with the new sound effects.

The main problem with releasing the individual files is two fold:

1) The license on the sound effects used does not allow me to release them as files that only contain the sound effect files, so I would have to include a vocal track at some point to stay within the confines of the license.

and

2) The short 5-minute files would not be too useful to you as they don't currently contain vocal prompts. What I would have to do, is manually make a series of 35-minute clips that use different a combination of sound effects clips combined with the vocals to make randomized section clips... which would take forever. That's the nice thing about the app; I can apply an algorithm to it and it will select the appropriate files on a random basis to create a complete track and progress through sections 1 -> 5 with a break in-between.

If i figure out a relatively easy way to make them, I'll probably release something along with the app for those who don't have iPhones; I'm not sure what it will be, though. Still some planning to do with that one.

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Tue May 18, 2010 5:16 pm

PadawanLaw wrote:I appreciate the concern; I can assure you that they will only be done if I find spare time. My next semester of classes starts on Monday and I am just using the mp3's at the moment as a break from Practice Tests and an opportunity to learn a new software (I am moving over from ProTools to Logic for audio editing, so this is a great opportunity to learn Logic).

I am taking the June exam as well and the studying for it is coming along ok. If I take a break in these upcoming days and find that I have nothing left to edit, I'll try to make a 33-minute version with the new sound effects.

The main problem with releasing the individual files is two fold:

1) The license on the sound effects used does not allow me to release them as files that only contain the sound effect files, so I would have to include a vocal track at some point to stay within the confines of the license.

and

2) The short 5-minute files would not be too useful to you as they don't currently contain vocal prompts. What I would have to do, is manually make a series of 35-minute clips that use different a combination of sound effects clips combined with the vocals to make randomized section clips... which would take forever. That's the nice thing about the app; I can apply an algorithm to it and it will select the appropriate files on a random basis to create a complete track and progress through sections 1 -> 5 with a break in-between.

If i figure out a relatively easy way to make them, I'll probably release something along with the app for those who don't have iPhones; I'm not sure what it will be, though. Still some planning to do with that one.
1) Maybe you can just record one of your coughs? I don't think I understand...is that your voice giving me the 5 min warning?

2) I agree, the 33 min file is most useful, I'm not going to set up my player to play e.g. seven (five minute) files in a row.

FYI, my last two tests I used the file on my MP3 player hooked into speakers set a little ways from me. It works like it should, it does seem like there are people coughing and not directly in my ear; it's a good source of distraction. Thanks again!

One thing that's weird is that my MP3 player runs like 20 seconds fast. Your file timing is spot on, starting at 0:10 and ending at 35:10, but when I timed it using a (NIST traceable) timer, the whole thing was 20 seconds short. No big deal.

Also, I've been going to 33 min sections, so I just start my timer 2:10 into the file, it works pretty well. I'm all set; don't worry about making new files for me. Actually, at about this time, there's a huge cacophony of coughs; this is perfect to try to start a section and try to focus.

Thanks, and keep us updated!

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Tue May 18, 2010 10:04 pm

1) That is indeed my voice giving you the 5 minute warning. Allergies are not my friend right now, so please excuse me sounding like a monster.

I'm glad the speaker route worked for you... it is definitely interesting to hear how different people are using it. On some days I'll have 70+ people drop by the site to use the file, which is nice to know some people are out there getting a good use out of it.

The timer thing is weird, maybe the flash player is running quickly? I'll have to time it myself sometime. I was actually at the library today and there was an Asian couple arguing in (what I sounded a little like Thai) at the table next to me and I found myself wondering what they were saying... this was very distracting for me. I popped in my earbuds and played the Cacophony, which I found to be far more tolerable and realistic ha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:47 am

I received a PM on here with some questions about the proctor file and I realized that I never let anyone know that I actually completed the iPhone/iPod Touch version of the LSAT Cacophony. If anyone actually wanted it, the link is here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lsat-pro ... 71487?mt=8 .

The app is free, so enjoy it. IF it has already been announced here, somewhere, I apologize. Good luck to everyone.

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:30 pm

PadawanLaw wrote:I received a PM on here with some questions about the proctor file and I realized that I never let anyone know that I actually completed the iPhone/iPod Touch version of the LSAT Cacophony. If anyone actually wanted it, the link is here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lsat-pro ... 71487?mt=8 .

The app is free, so enjoy it. IF it has already been announced here, somewhere, I apologize. Good luck to everyone.
You are the MAN. This was so helpful to me when I took the June exam, I highly recommend it to others. What was money is that my actual test room was much quieter than the cacophony, so by practicing with the cacophony, the day of the test was a breeze.

Thanks again.

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Glad to hear it! Mine was definitely quieter than the Cacophony, but it was pretty bad with cell phones and the proctor dragging her wedding ring up and down a metal handrail. Glad that I was accustomed to the chaos.

Whenever a test approaches, it seems like there will be 50 people a day downloading the app and then as soon as it is finished, it drops back down to about 10-12 a day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”