What Does "Selfish individualism" Mean? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
clint4law

Silver

What Does "Selfish individualism" Mean?

Post by clint4law » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:04 pm

This term was used in a flaw question and I don't quite see how "selfish individualism" differs from selfish acts. Can someone please elaborate? Sorry I can't specify the PT/Section/Question #..... I was practicing using my PS Course book and unfortunately they don't provide that info.

Kwijiboe

New

Re: What Does "Selfish individualism" Mean?

Post by Kwijiboe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:15 pm

Not enough info.

Was the answer ambiguous word usage or changing definition of a key term.

On the Lsat you also need to take into account the context of a word to define it.

Gunz353

Bronze

Post by Gunz353 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Individualism is a more philosophic term, referencing the social and political ideals of individualism as being a positive thing. Think Ayn Rand type philosophy. Adding the term "selfish" in front of that turns into a negative connotation, kind of spoiling the positive philosophy side of that.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Was this a question about genes and self-replication? If so, it was just a circular follow the logic thing...

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:02 pm

It was comparing selfish individualism to the selfishness of the human race in general as I recall. I also think there was a temporal conflict.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:07 pm

ValiantVic wrote:It was comparing selfish individualism to the selfishness of the human race in general as I recall. I also think there was a temporal conflict.
That would seem to be differentiating between individual and group mainly, and maybe short-term vs. long. Selfishness of the human race could still be selfless on an individual basis (ie seeking to promote mankind, yet hurting the environment)

SabermetricFan

New

Post by SabermetricFan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:35 pm

haha did they ask a question about Ayn Rand in one of the tests I missed? This sounds like something she'd be an expert in. A Selfish Act, as far as I consider it (and a caveat; Ayn Rand is my favorite philosopher) is one that she wouldn't approve of; ie It would be taking the last slice of pizza just for the sake of having it and not someone else. The objective reality is that you dont actually want to eat the slice (not that healthy, youre watching your weight) and the truly 'selfish' act would be ignoring the slice. That is what she meant by 'the Virtue of Selfishness'. Selfish Individualism is more a concept and an ideology than an act.

SabermetricFan

New

Post by SabermetricFan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:36 pm

ruleser wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:It was comparing selfish individualism to the selfishness of the human race in general as I recall. I also think there was a temporal conflict.
That would seem to be differentiating between individual and group mainly, and maybe short-term vs. long. Selfishness of the human race could still be selfless on an individual basis (ie seeking to promote mankind, yet hurting the environment)
Yeah its really hard to answer this without the actual question and stimuli posted as well.

Sequoia90

New

Post by Sequoia90 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:56 pm

I remember this question, the flaw was the shifting meaning of "selfish".

They said that something about individuals in the 80s were more selfish, but that it can't be true because human beings always act to preserve their interests in surviving and protecting your own interests are selfish.

For those "flaw" questions, look for repeating words and make sure they mean the same thing. An individual being selfish is totally different than the human racing having a desire to survive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”