A word of advice about the Reading Comprehension section.. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Bing14

New

A word of advice about the Reading Comprehension section..

Post by Bing14 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:17 am

I take issue with this board's difficulty with the reading comprehension section. Are we not scholars of philosophy, diction, and rhetoric? I can see people having trouble with the logic games, but literature is the essence of our profession. Have the influences of college life damed our abilities to reason while reading short passages? I am very confused and I hope the this board is not representative of what is in the real world. Scholars at my university took pride on being able to read. My friends and I would often go to the Library and print scholarship off of Jstor and then debate the articles. There is a certain etiquette that ought to be possessed by today's lawyer. That substance is certainly lacking. I did not miss a question on the reading comprehension section of the Law School Admissions Test, nor do I expect to on my retake. The fraternity of law ought to consist of the most prominent and most noble people the world of philosophy has to offer--not being able to comprehend complex arguments has led me to believe the standard has been lowered. Of course, I am not asking people to assume the role of philosopher-kings.

P.S. I am not saying we should be philosophy majors--for I certainly am not. I am just suggesting we infuse it into our daily lives.
Last edited by Bing14 on Tue May 26, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

JJM84

New

Re: A word of advice about the Reading Comprehension section..

Post by JJM84 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:23 am

Bing14 wrote:I take issue with this boards difficulty with the reading comprehension section. Are we not scholars of philosophy diction, and rhetoric? I can see people having trouble with the logic games, but literature is the essence of our profession. Have the influences of college life damed our abilities to reason while reading short passages? I am very confused and I hope the this board is not representative of what is in the real world. Scholars at my university took pride on being able to read. My friends and I would often go to the Library and print scholarship off of Jstor and then debate the articles. There is a certain etiquette that ought to be possessed by today's lawyer. That substance is certainly lacking. I did not miss a question on the reading comprehension section of the Law School Admissions Test, nor do I expect to on my retake. The fraternity of law ought to consist of the most prominent and most noble people the world of philosophy has to offer--not being able to comprehend complex arguments has led me to believe the standard has been lowered. Of course, I am not asking people to assume the role of philosopher-kings.

P.S. I am not saying we should be philosophy majors--for I certainly am not. I am just suggesting we infuse it into our daily lives.

:roll:

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Tue May 26, 2009 1:24 am

what a fuckin' loser.

tj1320

New

Post by tj1320 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:25 am

Damn, too bad he isn't within striking distance.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue May 26, 2009 1:28 am

So what exactly is the advice?

I love the image of you going into the library and debating JSTOR articles with friends. In my head you all have sweater vests and shit. BTW, isn't using JSTOR a bit plebeian? I myself always dig into dusty archives to find my journal of choice--that is the way true research is done!

Pretty sure this is all an act now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Tue May 26, 2009 1:30 am

Bing14 wrote:I take issue with this boards difficulty with the reading comprehension section. Are we not scholars of philosophy diction, and rhetoric? I can see people having trouble with the logic games, but literature is the essence of our profession. Have the influences of college life damed our abilities to reason while reading short passages? I am very confused and I hope the this board is not representative of what is in the real world. Scholars at my university took pride on being able to read. My friends and I would often go to the Library and print scholarship off of Jstor and then debate the articles. There is a certain etiquette that ought to be possessed by today's lawyer. That substance is certainly lacking. I did not miss a question on the reading comprehension section of the Law School Admissions Test, nor do I expect to on my retake. The fraternity of law ought to consist of the most prominent and most noble people the world of philosophy has to offer--not being able to comprehend complex arguments has led me to believe the standard has been lowered. Of course, I am not asking people to assume the role of philosopher-kings.

:lol:

lmb

New

Post by lmb » Tue May 26, 2009 1:31 am

oh. wow. Just, well, wow. If he's actually real, and I'm beginning to doubt it based on his previous, similarly pompous posts, then this is just massive, incredible toolery.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue May 26, 2009 1:32 am

Bing14 wrote:Have the influences of college life damed our abilities
Unfortunately, I wasn't damed nearly enough in college.

Bing14

New

Post by Bing14 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:35 am

Why is this so hard to swallow? Because it is the truth? I am lighting a fire under all of you to go out and improve your verbal skills. When I was in high school, I took a liking to 20th century industrial scholarship. To this day, friends have called me "the industrial scholar." I believe I achieved my goals. I am trying to inspire you all to do the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Tue May 26, 2009 1:36 am

Last edited by puppleberry finn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue May 26, 2009 1:38 am

puppins, is that you in your tar?

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue May 26, 2009 1:38 am

Academic search premier FTW.

BTW based on this post, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=73069, it's pretty obvious this guy isn't for real.

edit: haha, the industrial scholar just edited it. man i really wish he was for real and i could hang out with him. itd be awesome. In the post one of the things he said was "I'm not the smartest guy in the world"
Last edited by goodolgil on Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Tue May 26, 2009 1:39 am

i have thoroughly enjoyed reading each of Bing14's eleven posts

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue May 26, 2009 1:40 am

Bing14 wrote:To this day, friends have called me "the industrial scholar." I believe I achieved my goals.
I know y'all think this guy's an elitist, but the lack of ambition here is ridiculously depressing.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 am

Last edited by puppleberry finn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 am

puppins wrote:
mallard wrote:puppins, is that you in your tar?
Being mauled by angry goats and sheep, yes.
Huh. :) I like your lime-colored whatevers.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 am

puppins wrote:
goodolgil wrote:BTW, isn't using JSTOR a bit plebeian?
Honestly, JSTOR is soo the academy. The truly avant-garde only use Project MUSE.
My study group and I talked about this topic, how to obtain adequate research, over the weekend. We came to the conclusion the best place to obtain research was from the bartender.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Tue May 26, 2009 1:42 am

i've done you and your similar-minded friends the favor of bolding some of your errors. some are grammatical, some are typos. have fun sitting in the library dissecting what you've done wrong!

p.s. i'm glad your reading comprehension is so spectacular. too bad you do not have enough pride in your writing to go back and proofread (or even worse, proofread and miss the errors!). fwiw, yale law students never make typos.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Tue May 26, 2009 2:00 am

Bing14 wrote: Scholars at my university took pride on being able to read. .
Interesting.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Tue May 26, 2009 2:00 am

You're a fucking weirdo.

janderson

Bronze

Post by janderson » Tue May 26, 2009 2:08 am

I think you want the 4chan forums.

Also, one more pretentious post from you and I shall have you removed from the internets! :twisted:
Last edited by janderson on Tue May 26, 2009 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SplitterPride

New

Post by SplitterPride » Tue May 26, 2009 2:11 am

Cleareyes wrote:
Bing14 wrote: Scholars at my university took pride on being able to read. .
Interesting.

LOL Cleareyes is having a field day out there responding to Bing. So far Cleareyes bashed Bing 7-0 and counting...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue May 26, 2009 2:29 am

great advice, very practical - thank you.

Man on Wire

New

Post by Man on Wire » Tue May 26, 2009 2:52 am

I'm surprised such a fucking genius would have to retake.

Can't do a logic game?

Can't decipher short arguments in LR?

Have the influences of college life damned your abilities to reason while reading short passages? <--- your words

If you're not busy later you should go die in a fire.

kent

New

Post by kent » Tue May 26, 2009 2:53 am

puppins wrote:
goodolgil wrote:BTW, isn't using JSTOR a bit plebeian?
Honestly, JSTOR is soo the academy. The truly avant-garde only use Project MUSE.
+1 for MUSE

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”