Voyager's LSAT Prep Plan Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed May 16, 2007 2:50 pm

"I do pretty bad on all of them but parallel reasoning and flaw questions really give me a problem"

Ok. You need to start with the 4 LR problem types that make up 2/3 of the test: Assumption, str/wkn, flaw and inference. Master these first. Assmp, str/wkn and flaw all revolve aroud ev+assmpt = conclusion. What sort of study materials are you using? They should go into this in a fair amount of detail.

Parallel reasoning requires a different strategy. Basically, you start by just comparing conclusions. That will either get you to the right answer or allow you to rule out 2 or 3 answers. Then you compare evidence. Check your study materials for specifics.

"Do you understand the importance of ev + assumption = conclusion?"
"I understand it but when I am going thru the tests I never really figure it out. I only get the conclusion."

Tools to help: always draw brackets around the conclusion after you identify it. Understand each sentence by itself as you read, then connect it all together in your head when you are finished. How many times do you re-read a sentence because you skimmed through it too quickly?

When looking for the assumption, look for mismatched terms in the evidence and conclusion. For example:

All poisons are dangerous, therefore chemical X is dangerous.

What is the author assuming? Notice that the evidence discusses poisons and being dangeours while the conclusion only talks about "dangerous". I would think the assumption would be based on the word "poison."

And it is: the author is assuming chemical X is a poison. I know this is a very very simple example, but that same approach will help you attack much more difficult problems.

Further, by understanding the assumption, you can often figure out how to strengthen (by supporting the assumption with evidence, most often), weaken (attack the assumption) or identify the flaw (state the assumption).

I can't teach an entire class through this forum, but maybe that little bit will help.

3) When reading LR, do you break the stimulus into little chunks. That is to say, do you read the first sentence, make sure you understand what it is saying and then move on? Not really. If I do I take too much time.

Woah! It takes LESS time, because you end up not rereading the stimulus over and over. If you don't understand what the evidence is saying, you are screwed!

4) Are you able to accurately summarize the stimulus when you are done reading it? Not as well as I should.

Ah. Well, that follows from 3). Slow down. Read the first sentence. Do you understand it? Then move on.

5) Have you learned the basics of formal logic?
I learned about it thru powerscore but I probably need to learn it a LOT better

I would review the formal logic materials. Practice whatever FL exercises you have.

6) How many are you missing in the LR sections?
"I am getting between 16-18 right tops. As a matter of fact I just did one and I got like 15 wrong."

Clearly, that is too many. The way to go after these problems is to address each problem type in turn. If you worry about the whole section, you will be overwhelmed, at this point. Look at my guide and go after problem types individually. Become the MASTER of sequencing games, for instance. It will help your confidence. Sure, you will still have lots more work to do, but at least you know that when you see a sequencing game you will do fine. Also, you will actually make progress studying like this. No one learns any skill with a shotgun approach. Think about playing high school basketball or baseball. Did the coach just have you play entire games every practice? Hell no! You spent hours just hitting fast balls, or practicing double-play drills etc... Same thing here.

"I am really starting to believe that I cant do this test anymore. Please can I get an effective strategy that I can use to at least boost my confidence a little in this section. I need help badly."

Ah. You are just frustrated. You can do this test with the right preparation and help. I doubt you will be able to receive the detailed help you need via this forum, though... there is too much to master. Have you considered hiring a tutor or taking a course?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed May 16, 2007 2:59 pm

One additional point: I just found the book you need to focus on specific problems:

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Mastery-Pr ... 820&sr=8-1

I didn't realize you can get it through amazon. That book breaks up all three sections into their individual problem types AND ranks the difficulty of the questions. Awesome resource. BUY IT.
Last edited by Voyager on Wed May 16, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreday3223

New

You Are the Best! I wish you were teaching my course.

Post by dreday3223 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:04 pm

Thanks Voyager you are the best!!! Really helps with my confidence!!!!

--dreday3223

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed May 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Heh. Don't tell anyone else. I'm the dream-killer on here... along with St. Jobs.

UMMIKE

New

Voyager LSAT Test Plan

Post by UMMIKE » Thu May 24, 2007 9:44 am

Seeing as I am lacking in a proper studying direction, this plan seems pretty promising and definitely worth a shot.

I just started studying, and am currently working on the basic LR types as per the first month schedule. My question is, around when should we start implementing practice tests? (e.g. week 3 or 4)

Also, on these practice tests, do we only work on question types we've covered up to that point, or do we take the test as a whole?

Thanks, and help is greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gedmem2

New

Post by gedmem2 » Thu May 24, 2007 12:37 pm

Deleted
Last edited by gedmem2 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dagomuscles

New

Post by dagomuscles » Sat May 26, 2007 10:54 pm

I printed out this out, added a few things and am going to try it. I'll DEF post how it's working out.

seanpatin

New

Post by seanpatin » Wed May 30, 2007 1:18 pm

3) Bitorrent is your friend. They have every LSAT ever administered on that site.
How can I find these on bitorrent... I just tried and no luck!

UMMIKE

New

Post by UMMIKE » Wed May 30, 2007 4:39 pm

Thanks for the advice; for now I've just been working through the LR bible since it comprises so much of the test. I'm thinking of mixing it up with some LG practice to make better use of my time, but at the same time I really don't want to get off track and spread my focus too thin.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hous

Bronze

Re: Voyager's LSAT Prep Plan

Post by hous » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:25 pm

bump

Voyager

Silver

Re: Voyager's LSAT Prep Plan

Post by Voyager » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Here is how I prepped for the LSAT, lo' those many years ago...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”