. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:34 am

Last edited by cartercl on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: AM I MAKING SUFFICIENT PROGRESS!? 150-152 IN SIGHTS...

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:41 am

cartercl wrote:Okay, here is my situation. To begin, I am registered for the June 8th test, and from today's date (March 31, 2009) I have been practicing for the LSAT for the past 3 weeks. I am not naturally good at the question types presented on the LSAT, but I do learn from my mistakes and adjust my approach accordingly. I took my first practice test after making it about halfway through Princeton Review's practice book and scored a disheartening 141. The next two weeks following that test I took a practice test each week, scoring a 144 and 145, respectively. I also took each test after reviewing the answers I had gotten incorrect on the prior test. I am by no means delusional, and I fully recognize the fact that I should have, at most, a T3 school in my sights. I am aiming for, AT MINIMUM, a 150; however, a 151 or 152 would be nice. This week, I will be purchasing Kaplan's 2009 LSAT Comprehesive program along with 'LSAT 180' and Kaplan's Logic Games practice. I also plan on taking more practice tests, taking a practice test per week until the week of my test, or around 8 or 9 tests. Considering the fact that my test date is 2 months away, I need to know the following: can I make enough progress to reach my current score goal, and also am I going about practicing for the test in the most effective way possible? If my current practice methods are in fact insufficient to help me reasonably obtain my goal within the next 2 months, is there anything that I could do differently to help me reach my goal? Should I take 2 practice tests per week??? Once again I am trying to get into the 150-152 range, at the least. HELP! All criticism is welcome!! Thanks in advance!
Who walks into the LSAT hoping to be average? That will put you in a T3-T4 school with no scholarship. Why not take the test in October and actually get a score that makes you competitive for T1 schools? There is absolutely no advantage conveyed by taking the test in June.

futmex

New

Post by futmex » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:48 am

Kohinoor wrote:
cartercl wrote:Okay, here is my situation. To begin, I am registered for the June 8th test, and from today's date (March 31, 2009) I have been practicing for the LSAT for the past 3 weeks. I am not naturally good at the question types presented on the LSAT, but I do learn from my mistakes and adjust my approach accordingly. I took my first practice test after making it about halfway through Princeton Review's practice book and scored a disheartening 141. The next two weeks following that test I took a practice test each week, scoring a 144 and 145, respectively. I also took each test after reviewing the answers I had gotten incorrect on the prior test. I am by no means delusional, and I fully recognize the fact that I should have, at most, a T3 school in my sights. I am aiming for, AT MINIMUM, a 150; however, a 151 or 152 would be nice. This week, I will be purchasing Kaplan's 2009 LSAT Comprehesive program along with 'LSAT 180' and Kaplan's Logic Games practice. I also plan on taking more practice tests, taking a practice test per week until the week of my test, or around 8 or 9 tests. Considering the fact that my test date is 2 months away, I need to know the following: can I make enough progress to reach my current score goal, and also am I going about practicing for the test in the most effective way possible? If my current practice methods are in fact insufficient to help me reasonably obtain my goal within the next 2 months, is there anything that I could do differently to help me reach my goal? Should I take 2 practice tests per week??? Once again I am trying to get into the 150-152 range, at the least. HELP! All criticism is welcome!! Thanks in advance!
Who walks into the LSAT hoping to be average? That will put you in a T3-T4 school with no scholarship. Why not take the test in October and actually get a score that makes you competitive for T1 schools? There is absolutely no advantage conveyed by taking the test in June.
+1

Someperson

New

Post by Someperson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:48 am

Kohinoor wrote:
TITCR.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:51 am

You are definitely right. I suppose my line of thought is that a person who scores in a low range during practice can only increase his performance by a marginal amount. Logically, I know that anyone can do well on the LSAT, but I just don't know how to go about obtaining a score in the upper echelon, thereby, only reinforcing my thinking that I will not be able to score highly. I need to know HOW to do this, if it is in fact possible... Am I at least doing what those high scoring test takers do to get those scores??? I have absolutely no one in my everyday life knowledgeable enough about the LSAT to answer these questions, so please pardon my ignorance...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vasiok

Bronze

Post by vasiok » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:52 am

cartercl wrote:You are definitely right. I suppose my line of thought is that a person who scores in a low range during practice can only increase his performance by a marginal amount. Logically, I know that anyone can do well on the LSAT, but I just don't know how to go about obtaining a score in the upper echelon, thereby, only reinforcing my thinking that I will not be able to score highly. I need to know HOW to do this, if it is in fact possible... Am I at least doing what those high scoring test takers do to get those scores??? I have absolutely no one in my everyday life knowledgeable enough about the LSAT to answer these questions, so please pardon my ignorance...
Read the sticky in this forum.... you know.. about how people got 160+

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:00 am

definitely wait until october. and forget kaplan and princeton review. get the powerscore books. they're expensive but they're so worth it. the first time i did a practice test without any studying i got a 151. i took the test twice and used different study aid each time. i used a mcgraw-hill review book and and got a 157 on last june's test. i decided to retake in october (because i was practice testing between a 161 and 165 which makes me think that mcgraw-hill's practice tests aren't that good even though they seemed difficult at the time) and bought the powerscore bibles and did one of their weekend classes. i also bought one of the books with 10 old LSATs directly from LSAC which i definitely recommend. personally, i think the class may have been overkill and i think if you're good at studying alone and you have the time (which it appears you do) the books would be sufficient. powerscore all the way. seriously.

Catch22

New

Post by Catch22 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:28 am

I started in the mid-150s and ended in the high-160s from just three and a half months of practice - you can make huge jumps in your score, especially if you give yourself enough time!

DAC

New

Post by DAC » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:43 pm

Go higher score -- don't go to a T3 without scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:51 pm

webbylu87 wrote:definitely wait until october. and forget kaplan and princeton review. get the powerscore books. they're expensive but they're so worth it. the first time i did a practice test without any studying i got a 151. i took the test twice and used different study aid each time. i used a mcgraw-hill review book and and got a 157 on last june's test. i decided to retake in october (because i was practice testing between a 161 and 165 which makes me think that mcgraw-hill's practice tests aren't that good even though they seemed difficult at the time) and bought the powerscore bibles and did one of their weekend classes. i also bought one of the books with 10 old LSATs directly from LSAC which i definitely recommend. personally, i think the class may have been overkill and i think if you're good at studying alone and you have the time (which it appears you do) the books would be sufficient. powerscore all the way. seriously.
Thanks a lot! This really helps! I already see the difference between the methods in powerscore from the other two

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:55 pm

glad to know i've helped! and good luck in october! if you put time and effort in i really think you can do better than a 151-152!

RickyMack

New

Post by RickyMack » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:51 pm

don't go in looking to "only" score a 150. i went in with the mentality i wanted to score at least 160. my timed practice tests were around 163-165 consistently and i ended up getting a 156 instead. i definitely feel that if i aimed higher i would have been a lot more successful in my studying. Go for broke!

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Last edited by cartercl on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:17 pm

Edit: Oops. Didn't realize this was a bumped thread.

Best of luck to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”