Question about 3 LSAT limit in 2 years. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Question about 3 LSAT limit in 2 years.

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:00 pm

rpj77 wrote:I also have a question about this. I took the test in Feb. 07, Feb. 08 (165, 164) and just blew Dec. 08 (games disaster, likely leading to a 165-166). I would like to cancel my Dec. score and take the Feb. 09 test. I understand many of you feel like I'm an idiot for thinking I can get a better score if I take it AGAIN, but, I am just wondering if they will let me?

For reference, I think my score from the first two tests are fine, but I really studied this time and did great the last 10 PTs (all 170+). Even if they were still averaging, rather than taking the highest score (which most are not) a 172 would get me from a 164.5 to a 167, or the difference between being competitive at some schools I would like to go to or being automatically rejected. My personal view is that most admissions officers at the schools I want to go to will not look at me twice right now, so I don't think I really have a lot to lose by cancelling and putting a third score on there.
How many times can I take the LSAT?

Normally, you may not take the LSAT more than three times in any two-year period. This policy applies even if you cancel your score or it is not otherwise reported. LSAC reserves the right to cancel your registration, rescind your admission ticket, or take any other steps necessary to enforce this policy. However, you may retake the LSAT if a law school to which you are applying requires a more recent score than any you have on record, or approves your retaking the test, and the school provides LSAC with written proof of its requirement no later than the last day of registration for the test.
-LSAC

rpj77

New

Post by rpj77 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:06 pm

Doesn't necessarily answer the question. If you are going strictly by dates, the Feb. 09 exam is 2 years and a 5 days after I took the Feb. 07 exam. However, if you're going by "administrations" in a loose sense, it would be the fourth in 2 years.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:12 pm

rpj77 wrote:Doesn't necessarily answer the question. If you are going strictly by dates, the Feb. 09 exam is 2 years and a 5 days after I took the Feb. 07 exam. However, if you're going by "administrations" in a loose sense, it would be the fourth in 2 years.
Then you need to contact LSAC. I highly suspect that their two year limit is based upon administrations.

laylalucy

New

Post by laylalucy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:32 pm

I just got off the phone with LSAC. They base the LSAT limit on their "testing year," which runs from June through February of the following year. So, if you sat in 2/07, again in 2/08, and again in 12/08, your next chance to test would be in 2/2009. After not being certain whether it would be 2/09 or 6/09 based on LSAC's standard test-year rule, the representative confirmed this with her supervisor, and said that it indeed would be 2/2009.

If, on the other hand, you took the test for the first time in 6/07, again in 2/08, and again in 12/08, you would have reached your three-attempt limit as you would have two attempts in the first test-year and one in the second. Under this scenario, you would not be able to sit again until 6/09, when the new testing period begins.

I would definitely call to confirm everything I have just said, since I was given two different answers before asking for supervisor confirmation, but based on the definition of their testing year and the fact that you sat for the administrations of 2/07, 2/08, and 12/08, I would say you are fine to sit again in 2/09 regardless of whether you cancel (which still counts as an attempt).

Hope this helps!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:44 pm

yesofcourse wrote:NEED is too strong. You're better than that muddywaters.
NEED is not too strong, no matter how many times you post it or whether you use capslock or not. Need to reevaluate, not need to change anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”