First practice lsat score v.s final score Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hobbla

New

Post by hobbla » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:15 pm

you are never supposed to see it, but I remember in high school all of the teachers that gave me rec's let me see them (unofficially) after they were sent in. If you have enough trust with the person writing the recommendation (and really, you should, otherwise the recommendation is probably worthless) the recommender(?) will realize that you are just curious, and not actually doubting their ability to write a good LoR.

If you are wondering if LSAC is going to hunt you down and murder your family if you see your LoR's, then yes - LSAC is both omniscient and omnipotent so dont' bother trying to escape.

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:19 pm

the first i took was a 151, scored a 159 in december, and who knows what i scored in feb.

monter

New

Post by monter » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:30 pm

i took three practice tests during my prep (though i did tons of practice questions in the kaplan book i got and went through the entire powerscore logic games bible in, like, three days), plus a half length diagnostic quiz from kaplan.

i scored an 80% on my diagnostic (they don't give you a converted LSAT score on that, so i don't know how helpful that is)

my first practice test, I got a 171. i timed the sections, but i gave myself, like, half hour breaks between them.

my second practice test, i got a 167. i did the first two sections right after each other, timed, gave myself a six hour break or something, and then did the third and fourth sections.

my third practice test, i got a 173. this was the only practice test i actually did timed the way you're supposed to, with the first two or three sections non-stop with just a ten minute break in between or whatever.

i haven't gotten my score yet, but if it's lower than the upper 160s, i think i might jump off a building. :(

i will for sure update whenever i get my real score.

ps: i did a ton of practice sets and that logic games book after my diagnostic and before my practice tests, so that might account for how i went from a 80% to sort of kicking butt.

DOS

New

Post by DOS » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:12 pm

170 (but 2 years ago I taught the course) > 176

Hi, I was a former Princeton Review Instructor and based on my classes let me answer the question the best that I can. The average increase for somebody doing extensive preparations (like the full PR course doing all the work and with good teachers) is 7 points.

Unfortunately you cannot take your 7 points to the bank for several reasons. First, for a standardized test, it is the most difficult test I have ever coached. (The exception being the Games section, which was not what I taught; I was known as the Args guy). It is hard to change your method of problem solving and critical readings simply since you have been practicing ‘your way’ since Junior High. So there is a subset of test takers, who once they become familiar with the test never really go up at all b/c they don’t change how they think. To use a personal example, I arrived at most of my answers through a combination of POE and intuition rather than logically going through all the steps. This is always how I reason even though as a Software Developer and somebody shooting for a near perfect LSAT, I would have been better served, at times, doing things the ‘logical way’. So why didn’t I? Well it was so much quicker and easier to do it through my strengths than to do it the ‘hard way’ especially when I was pressed for time like I was on the exam. This is very typical. Some test takers do not even realize the test is about their reasoning and simply try to learn the answers rather than understand their own strengths and weaknesses.

Second, it is always hard to simulate the real thing. Your nerves or a sleepless night might easily cost you all your gains and you might get on the real test exactly what you got on your first practice. Or conversely, being keyed up might even boost your score. Even as a Princeton Review Instructor I found the real test just like the practice tests; Except that somebody had managed to pour a bucket of adrenaline into me the second the test started! Fortunately it didn’t change my score, but not everybody performs under pressure.

However, if you want to guessimate how you’ll improve if you give it your all, go with 7 points.

creynolds

New

Post by creynolds » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:35 pm

First real, timed diagnostic= 150

After boatloads of work, on test day= 166

It was better than I had done on any of my timed practice tests, so I was pretty pleased. Adrenaline makes me smarter I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alf14997

New

Post by Alf14997 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:37 pm

16 points, hell of a pick up crey, nice work!

here's to hoping

New

Post by here's to hoping » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:18 pm

I think it largely depends on where you start. I am in a course and the instructor, who has been teaching for 11 years and owns the business, says that if you are in the 40's or 50's on your first exam you will be able to raise up a ton more points than people who start in the sixties. It is harder he said to raise ten points if you are already in the 60's than to raise 20 points if you are in the 40's. I agree. I have been studying for about a month now and I have already raised my scores consistently by 8 points. The big difference though is that I was HORRIBLE at games to begin with, but now I am decent. It depends on where you begin.

lawINlalaland

New

Post by lawINlalaland » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:38 pm

Last edited by lawINlalaland on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NJdave

New

Post by NJdave » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:00 pm

i took the PR course (i live in princeton, so kaplan was outta the question) and took my first practice test under test conditions...in a strange foreign room, timed, 1 break 10 mins long, etc.
155 -> my last prac 173
i was avging in the mid 160's... my teacher believes i hit the climax, and not that the 173 was an outlier... but i guess he was trying to give me confidence.
took tests 25-49 or 50.... that last 25 anyway.
i was getting perfects in Games and missing a few in RC. my problem was in LR, and with continous practice in TIMED sections, i was able to pick up strategies and skills in how to break up the arguement proffeciently.

still waiting for my score... i didnt do up to par in games for the feb test... the bird game took me too long. but i finished all other sections with a little less then 5 mins to check my answers, go over the tough questions, bubble clearly, etc.

anyway, by now... you should know what learning methods best help you.... or your educational niche. if you don't know your niche, find it fast... and capatilize on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Halcyonnwar

New

Post by Halcyonnwar » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:14 pm

first practice test timed was a 167
final, real test 164.

so I guess seven points is true.

I studied for a month. Investing time almost every day. I liked the bootcamp intensive feel, i really felt ready.

tred

New

Post by tred » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:24 pm

154 -> 170

Silus

New

Post by Silus » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:38 pm

Halcyonnwar... I thought you said you got a 174? Right?

Nikki

New

Post by Nikki » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:58 pm

147 first timed test. (sometime in December)

156 in February

So, a 9 point increase.

I still don't know if i am re-taking in June or not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dansmeek

New

Post by dansmeek » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:39 pm

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
Last edited by dansmeek on Wed May 02, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dansmeek

New

Post by dansmeek » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:43 pm

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
Last edited by dansmeek on Wed May 02, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halcyonnwar

New

Post by Halcyonnwar » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:57 pm

right right, 174! Ahh! not that 164 is bad, but def 174

mrmillet

New

Re: First practice lsat score v.s final score

Post by mrmillet » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:17 pm

I spent the first part of March 2009 scratching my head and reading too many blogs regarding other people's experiences. I studied and outlined the Power Score Bible for about a week and a half. This week 3/23, I took my first practice test which was timed (or very close to timed on each section). I will try and update my scores as I take them. It is my intention to take a timed practice test each M-F from now until the June Exam. I am beginning to look into the potential value of a weekend course a week before the exam. I have an expectation to raise my score over 160 and maybe into the mid 160's. I think that this is a viable goal providing that my test taking is instructive and that I analyze my mistakes and mitigate repeating them.

Mon 3/22- 150
Tue 3/23- 152
Wed 3/24
Thur 3/25
Fri- 3/26

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cnola

New

Re: First practice lsat score v.s final score

Post by cnola » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:33 pm

157 to 168

I used a local prep company. I also needed someone to make me study. They also had a quiet place that I could get away to where the intensity level was high. I couldn't work a t home (roommate is out of college) and needed to be around other people and have the accessibility to instructors that the course allowed.

My course started in July for the October test.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”