Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
AW1

New

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Post by AW1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi, i think this approach will be very useful, but i would just like to confirm the use of the Kaplan Mastery book.

1) it is used to drill LR games only?

2) it is not used to drill LG games?

It seems according to Pithypike's guide, that he only uses sorted and copied PTs to drill LGs. I would imagine there is overlap in the Mastery book, but I could see the benefit of doing both if the explanations in the Mastery were used for review. Pithypike doesnt mention reviewing Mastery book answers to LGs in his guide though. On this thread I've read questions regarding the Kaplan classification of LGs and PS classification of LGs, so I was wondering, why would this be relevant if we aren't using the Mastery book for LGs?

Thanks for the help!

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:06 pm

There are 3 types of Kaplan Mastery books 1 for the logic games, 1 for the logic reasoning, and 1 for the Reading Comprehension the only one you need to get for this method is the logical reasoning for logic games and Reading Comp you just use the Next 10, 10, actual, and the next 10 actual LSAT books

AW1

New

Post by AW1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:45 pm

The Mastery book I have is split into three sections for LR, LG and RC. Its the 2009 edition. Anyway, I will stick with this for the LR drills as I assumed.

Thanks!

habanero

New

Post by habanero » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:33 pm

So, I'm trying to get my LSAT prep started soon (taking in Dec.) and I have decided to follow pithypike's guide, but I have some questions. I have all the material (unused) from a full-length Powerscore course and I was wondering how you guys would suggest I incorporate those materials into this guide. I assume I don't need to get the LGB/LRB, right?

Do I just follow the sections in the full-length books that correspond with the specific question types (photocopied LG/LR)? Thanks for any adivce.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 pm

habanero wrote:So, I'm trying to get my LSAT prep started soon (taking in Dec.) and I have decided to follow pithypike's guide, but I have some questions. I have all the material (unused) from a full-length Powerscore course and I was wondering how you guys would suggest I incorporate those materials into this guide. I assume I don't need to get the LGB/LRB, right?

Do I just follow the sections in the full-length books that correspond with the specific question types (photocopied LG/LR)? Thanks for any adivce.
Does the full-length Powerscore course include the LGB/LRB? If it doesn't, you need to get them. They're definitely the best materials out there and I don't think any course can replace the bibles themselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

habanero

New

Post by habanero » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:21 am

kazu wrote:
habanero wrote:So, I'm trying to get my LSAT prep started soon (taking in Dec.) and I have decided to follow pithypike's guide, but I have some questions. I have all the material (unused) from a full-length Powerscore course and I was wondering how you guys would suggest I incorporate those materials into this guide. I assume I don't need to get the LGB/LRB, right?

Does the full-length Powerscore course include the LGB/LRB? If it doesn't, you need to get them. They're definitely the best materials out there and I don't think any course can replace the bibles themselves.

Well, the bibles are a powerscore product. I don't know what's in the bibiles, but I would assume it is also included in the materials they give to those enrolled in the full-length course. I just don't want to waste the extra money purchasing something that is already covered in the Powerscore full-length course materials.

Anyone have an pointers as to how I can incorporate these materials into this guide or does anyone know if these materials are insufficient compared to the bibles?

penguin

New

Post by penguin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:41 am

You should buy the bibles :) I also took PowerScore Full Length Course (but took it about 3 years ago). So I have bibles and course books. I was curious just like you and compared them. The course book contained more practices (homeworks) than bibles but not that much explanation for the practice questions. When I was taking the course, I just started my LSAT prep so I didn't even have clues what to ask in the classes either :cry: . I did the homeworks (although I couldn't finish all of them) but I needed more explanations which the course books didn't offer. Most of the people on this forum repeatedly suggested to do more practices while reviewing/repeating. When I was taking the course, I did the questions just once without reviewing or repeating (not good). The course was intense and I didn't have that much time to do anything else. For me, Powerscore course was a waste of time and money. I think you should look through the bibles and get the concepts before the course so that you can get familiar with LSAT.

Anyways, the bibles have more detailed explanations for techniques and solutions. You can get your own copies about $40 each (LG Bible and LR Bible) on Amazon. I don't recommend buying used LSAT books to save money since some people prefer to write in their answers which could be really annoying.

habanero wrote:
kazu wrote:

Well, the bibles are a powerscore product. I don't know what's in the bibiles, but I would assume it is also included in the materials they give to those enrolled in the full-length course. I just don't want to waste the extra money purchasing something that is already covered in the Powerscore full-length course materials.

Anyone have an pointers as to how I can incorporate these materials into this guide or does anyone know if these materials are insufficient compared to the bibles?

habanero

New

Post by habanero » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Penguin,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I signed up for the course last year and totally bailed on it. So, I have the entire unused course book set and was hoping to avoid purchasing the bibles if I don’t need to. According to powerscore, if you have the full-length course material, it’s not necessary to get the bibles, as all the material in the bibles is covered in the course books. Also, I’m not planning on retaking the course, rather I plan on following pithypike’s guide. As of now, I have the course book set, all three ’10 whatever LSAT’s,’ Superprep and Kaplan Mastery on the way.

I guess I could get the bibles anyway, but was hoping to avoid this. Did you use pithypike’s method?

Does anyone have any suggestion regarding what is the most efficient way to photocopy and separate all those LG’s?

penguin

New

Post by penguin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:21 pm

I got my PTs in pdf files so it was easy for me to print out (just sending a print job to my printer). For the newer PTs from 52-59, I didn't have them in pdf since I just bought my copies from Amazon (if you use 4-for-3 deal, you can get a PT for $6 each instead of $8). I had to scan all the pages and save them in pdf so I can make as many copies as I want. I am planning to retake/repeat these PTs anyway.

Since the PS course books are kind of scattered around into each lesson along with homeworks instead of each topic/chapter, it is hard to find which topic/game types you are looking for in the coursebooks. Since you didn't use the course book, you can still use them as practice books along with the bibles. You read corresponding chapters with Pithypike Study Guide in bibles and then you go to the course books to work on more practices. In this way, you don't have to think that it was a waste. :D If you have time, you can also make photocopies from your course books (instead of writing your answers in) so that you can work on the problems repeatedly as Pithypike recommended.

For me, I am taking Feb 2011 (although I didn't register yet or don't know if I want to take it in Dec 10) so I am kind in a slow pace than Pithypike's. I am currently using LSAT Blog 5 month schedule which is very similar to Pithypike's. For LG, I kind of followed the Pithypike's instructions to make 3 copies for each game type while keeping records of my scores and time. I'm almost finished with LG bible now and moving on to LR next week hopefully.

habanero wrote:Penguin,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I signed up for the course last year and totally bailed on it. So, I have the entire unused course book set and was hoping to avoid purchasing the bibles if I don’t need to. According to powerscore, if you have the full-length course material, it’s not necessary to get the bibles, as all the material in the bibles is covered in the course books. Also, I’m not planning on retaking the course, rather I plan on following pithypike’s guide. As of now, I have the course book set, all three ’10 whatever LSAT’s,’ Superprep and Kaplan Mastery on the way.

I guess I could get the bibles anyway, but was hoping to avoid this. Did you use pithypike’s method?

Does anyone have any suggestion regarding what is the most efficient way to photocopy and separate all those LG’s?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

habanero

New

Post by habanero » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Penguin,

I think I'm just going to go ahead and buy the bibles, as I'm running low on time. So, do you read, for instance, the material on "Basic Linear" and THEN after completing that, go on to do the Basic Linear LG's from the "10 actual LSATs?"

So, by the end all the LG's from the "10 actual LSAT" books will have been gone through three times? Which leaves us with not many practice tests, does it?

For LR, we just go through the bibles and then work on corresponding problems from the "10 actual LSAT" afterward? NO photocopying thought.

And for RC, I guess I'll just follow the course guide and work on problems.

Thanks again for your help. For some reason, this study guide is a little confusing to me.

penguin

New

Post by penguin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Hello, habanero.

So this is how I understood this study guide and how I'm modifying it a little for my purpose.

Per Pithypike's study guide, you work on LG in the order Pithypike provided (For Month 1, start with Basic Linear and Advanced Linear, then Month 2, do Grouping and so on). For me, I printed out LG games from PT19-28, I organized the printouts by LG game types using a LG type list and worked on the corresponding game types. First read the bible and get the basics, and then work on some more of the same game type.

Most people save the later PTs for later. Once you finish both LG and LR bibles and move on to RC (get the basics for all three sections), you move on the section practice using later games. I am planning to use PT19-28 for the basic phase (while working with the bibles) and section practices (either LG, LR or RC) using PT29-38 to see and find my problem areas and gain speed. Once I am done with bibles and section practices, I will move on to the practice test phase. I start doing 4 sections per PT and imitate the testing situations as much as possible. What I've noticed from this forum, this study guide or LSAT Blog Study schedule is that there are about 3 phases in LSAT preparation. Get basics --> Section practices --> Test practices.

For LG repeats, Pithypikes recommends doing three times at least. So for your question, yes, you have to go through 3 times (Since I have PTs in pdf file, I don't have 10 Actual LSAT and don't know which PTs are included in that book). If you don't have other books (10 More Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests and The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests) for PTs, you will need to get them. Ideally, you should get all PTs at least 20-60. Since some of the older PTs are not even available and things are changed from the older PTs anyway, some people say that they don't need to get them. PowerScore Course book contained some practice tests from 17-44 ish randomly although I don't remember exactly. Check the book to see if you have some of older PTs already so that you don't have to buy some of those Official LSAT Preptest books.

For the newer ones (40 up), you definitely have to buy them. They are available on Amazon (could be $6 each).

Since LR is my huge problem area, I need to work on them multiple times. So this is just for me. I just made multiple copies for PTs (29-59, not planning to separate these by types). I also bought PowerScore LR book by types (PT1-20) so that I can work on LR by type (didn't want to separate them by myself since it seems like it would take a long time to do that). Pithypikes recommends to get Kaplan Mastery Book when you work on LR by types but this book is only available thru individual sellers (who took the Kaplan course) from Amazon Marketplace or eBay (which I don't like about. I don't want to get a used book since it might contain writings in it. I don't really trust individual sellers... :roll: ) So I will read the bible (Assumption or whatever) and work on the corresponding LR type (for me, I will use PowerScore LR book by types, PT1-20 for this purpose). Once you master the type, you will move on to the next.

As I mentioned previously, you can use your PS course books while you do pracrices since some of those lessons in the course books are separated by LR types (Assumption, Main Point or whatever) or LG types. So you don't have to waste them.

Personally, I think, if you get LG games right, you don't have to repeat them 3 times. In other words, you should repeat any game types having problems with, even though you already did it 3 times. I think this is the case for LR or RC too.

Also I don't write in any of my books since I know I will make mistakes and want to go back and redo them. If I write in, all my answers are there and I cannot do the same game or preptest fresh. That's why I make multiple copies for PTs.

I'm glad I could help. :D
habanero wrote:Penguin,

I think I'm just going to go ahead and buy the bibles, as I'm running low on time. So, do you read, for instance, the material on "Basic Linear" and THEN after completing that, go on to do the Basic Linear LG's from the "10 actual LSATs?"

So, by the end all the LG's from the "10 actual LSAT" books will have been gone through three times? Which leaves us with not many practice tests, does it?

For LR, we just go through the bibles and then work on corresponding problems from the "10 actual LSAT" afterward? NO photocopying thought.

And for RC, I guess I'll just follow the course guide and work on problems.

Thanks again for your help. For some reason, this study guide is a little confusing to me.

Stayqued

New

Post by Stayqued » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Has anyone successfully condensed this program into 2 months (10 weeks)? I'm jotting down some variations that would accommodate my time frame, and would like some input?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:16 am

Stayqued wrote:Has anyone successfully condensed this program into 2 months (10 weeks)? I'm jotting down some variations that would accommodate my time frame, and would like some input?

It's possible. I would start sooner rather than later, I assume you're taking the December test.

To cut it down, I would eliminate the pacing part of Pithy's method.

Spend your first month in the LRB/LGB/RCB while doing grouping books 1-20. Spend your second month taking the 20 most recent PT's and reviewing them. (40-60)

You won't get through all the PT's available in 2 months, but it's still a fair amount of time to make sizable gains.

You'd finish 40 of 60 PTs. Ideally 3 months is whats needed for 60 PTs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

newy0rkknick

New

Post by newy0rkknick » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:10 am

im new to this site n im lookin to follow pithy's lsat prep guide. i know he's broken it down month by month, but i wanted to know how people have been breakin it down within these months?

i wanted to know what ur respective methodologies for lsat preparation were per day per wk for month 1? month 2? month 3? how many hours have you guys put in if you could average it out per day?

im sittin for feb 2011 and im lookin at 4-6 hrs of studyin per day / 100 logic reasoning + review, 8 logic games per day + review. would u guys even put a number on the time u spend per day or are you approachin it by how much material u cover per day? is there a cap on the questions per section your coverin? my strength is on reading comp; i gotta work on lg n lr. how have you approached / will you approach ur prep?

i get my lr/lg biblicals in a wk or so give or take amazon's free shipping. i put in my order for the preptests so give or take a wk or so i should get goin full throttle w my pithypike90x workout def by late oct/ early nov for the feb test.

in the interim, i got some miscellaneous testmaster / kaplan stuff ill work on.

thanks

Keeper1125

New

Post by Keeper1125 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:40 am

I just wanted to express my enormous gratitude to Pithy. I condensed this schedule into about ~10 weeks and just had my score returned, a 180. Unbelievable. People, the guidance in this thread is superb: use it!

mikeman

New

Post by mikeman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Any idea if the 2003 editions of LGB and LRB are the same or close enough to what I assume are newer published editions? I know the general LSAT concepts don't really change, but LR has become harder, so is it outdated? Thanks for any help!

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:31 pm

nvm figured it out

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

EPluribusUnum

New

Post by EPluribusUnum » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:26 am

if you have an iphone, you might like my spam!

chiach1

New

Post by chiach1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:27 am

I have a quick question. I hope someone knowledgeable on the matter can help me out. So Pithypikes recommends we go through each logic game 3 times. Should we do this immediately right after each other, or should we give ourselves time in between each game? And if so, how much time?

Thanks in advance.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:31 am

chiach1 wrote:I have a quick question. I hope someone knowledgeable on the matter can help me out. So Pithypikes recommends we go through each logic game 3 times. Should we do this immediately right after each other, or should we give ourselves time in between each game? And if so, how much time?

Thanks in advance.
Of course don't do them back to back. Rather when your 35 minutes is up, go through and see if you misread questions or missed key inferences and figure out why you missed them in the first place. Basically look for any clues that could have helped you solve the game quicker. Then a month or 2 later redo the game and see if your new techniques have led to change.

chiach1

New

Post by chiach1 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:31 pm

A few questions here regarding Pithypike's study guide.

First off, Pithy lists the LG and LR sections out of order with respect to their appearance in the actual Bibles. For example, the Main Point section is chapter 5 but Pithy has it listed in month 2 behind other sections that come later. Is there a reason to study the material in a different order than how it's presented in the actual bible? Does it matter?

Also, I'm trying to decide an actual day study plan. Meaning, how many hours per day to devote to studying LG's vs. LR questions and material vs. RC stuff. I have roughly about three hours a day to devote to studying. Does anyone have an actual daily study regiment idea?

Thank you all very much for the help--I greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dccoope

New

Post by dccoope » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:58 pm

chiach1 wrote:Does anyone have an actual daily study regiment idea?

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/month-ls ... plans.html

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:28 am

mikeman wrote:Any idea if the 2003 editions of LGB and LRB are the same or close enough to what I assume are newer published editions? I know the general LSAT concepts don't really change, but LR has become harder, so is it outdated? Thanks for any help!
There have been two editions of the LGB: 2003 and 2008

You might want to get the 2003 edition because the 2008 edition contains several recent games that you'll want to save for full-length timed exams. The 2008 edition does contain some more drills, though, but those aren't absolutely necessary. You could always get '08 and just skip the recent games, though. On the other hand, '03 is probably easier to get for a cheap price online.

There have been two editions of the LRB: 2006 and 2009

The only significant difference between them is that there are a few typo corrections. Wouldn't say it's outdated - the fundamental concepts haven't changed.

nnghiem

New

Post by nnghiem » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:55 pm

Hey all,

I am preparing to take my first LSAT in june and was wondering for the kaplan mastery what edition or year should I be looking to buy?

Thanks

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
mikeman wrote:Any idea if the 2003 editions of LGB and LRB are the same or close enough to what I assume are newer published editions? I know the general LSAT concepts don't really change, but LR has become harder, so is it outdated? Thanks for any help!
There have been two editions of the LGB: 2003 and 2008

You might want to get the 2003 edition because the 2008 edition contains several recent games that you'll want to save for full-length timed exams. The 2008 edition does contain some more drills, though, but those aren't absolutely necessary. You could always get '08 and just skip the recent games, though. On the other hand, '03 is probably easier to get for a cheap price online.

There have been two editions of the LRB: 2006 and 2009

The only significant difference between them is that there are a few typo corrections. Wouldn't say it's outdated - the fundamental concepts haven't changed.

RE: LGB, how recent do you mean? Where to draw the line in the 08 version?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”