Chances of improving LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barbm145

New

Chances of improving LSAT

Post by Barbm145 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:41 pm

I felt quite anxious after doing my Diagnostic and seeing my score of 140. I'm planning to take the exams in October, so I've been studying for about 4 hours a day during the work week and 8 hours during the weekends. Is it achievable for me to get a 165 by the end of September? I would appreciate an honest opinion. Thanks!

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Chances of improving LSAT

Post by talons2250 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:02 pm

No one can really answer this for you, and you just have to study as best as you can and try your best, and see how you score. It is definitely possible that you can go from 140 to 165 and I'm sure many people have made improvements like that. If you really want a numerical prediction you could take your 1600 SAT score (reading comprehension + math), multiply it by .048, and then add 100. (For me and several people I know, that formula was fairly predictive of our ultimate LSAT score.) But it's just a prediction and for loads of reasons your ultimate LSAT score could be higher or lower.

Antetrust

New

Post by Antetrust » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:21 am

Yes, you can do it. But you have to work very hard. My advice:
1) First, read the LSAT bibles and master one section at a time without time constraints, then with.
2) Once you do that, take every practice exam ever printed. Take them under test conditions (actually, take them under harder-than-actual test conditions, e.g., do extra sections or extra tests consecutively with no additional break).
3) When reviewing a practice test, mark the questions you got wrong WITHOUT remembering the correct answer. Answer those questions again without time constraints. Pay special attention to the ones you got wrong twice.
4) MOST IMPORTANTLY: track every single question you miss (e.g., in an Excel spreadsheet) and take notes on WHY you missed it and what principle, idea, or tactic you can take away to apply in the future. There are online resources where people explain the answer to every question. Review your notes periodically and try to avoid making the same mistakes multiple times.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:45 pm

I went from a 145 diagnostic to a 168 actual. I worked my ass off, it was not an easy road. If you're up to it and you study your ass off like your life is riding on it, you can do it. In my experience, the one area I couldn't improve on was reading comprehension. Through all the hard work I sunk into it, I didn't improve on that area at all. The remaining areas I was able to improve a lot.

jamestaylorrecordsas

New

Post by jamestaylorrecordsas » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:26 pm

I knew an idiot who took months and months of prep classes and got a 176. I would not have trusted this guy to wash my car. I say take a year to study for it and you'll get mid 170s. I say this with 100% honesty.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Allegro3935

New

Post by Allegro3935 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:14 am

It all depends on you. In 11 months, I went from a mid-140s diagnostic to a 165 on the real test (I later retook the exam and scored better). I have no aptitude for standardized exams. I suffered and struggled all those months, but it was worth the effort.

No one here can guarantee you a good score by September. However, it's very much possible if you work hard and concentrate.

crownlsat

New

Post by crownlsat » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:58 pm

If you have a strong plan in place and put in the work, I think it's doable. If you go in blind and don't have a strategy, I would say the chances are very low. Tutoring from someone who has gotten to your goal is something I'd recommend. I offer that and scored 171 with a diagnostic in the 140s. If that is something that interests you feel free to reach out here or crownlsat@gmail.com

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”