Anyone help me with PT51-S3-Q21? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
stephanie_zhai

New

Anyone help me with PT51-S3-Q21?

Post by stephanie_zhai » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:40 pm

May I ask in choice A, isn't

"young opera singers with great vocal power are the most likely to ruin their voices." the same as "young opera singers without great vocal power are unlikely to ruin their voice."??

In the second sentence, the negation meaning of without can be taken by the word unlikely, which transforms it into likely. And the second sentence would be exactly the same as the first one.

Anyone could help me with it?

Many thanks!

ieolaw

New

Re: Anyone help me with PT51-S3-Q21?

Post by ieolaw » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:31 am

I don't know if you're still wondering but the error in your understanding comes from a mistaken negation between the sufficient and necessary conditions (and a secondary error with the missed word).

The question stem says "young opera singers with great vocal power are the most likely to ruin their voices" which could be interpreted as "young opera singers with great vocal power" (sufficient condition) and "most likely to ruin their voices" (necessary condition). In plain words, if someone is a young opera singer with great vocal power that is a sufficient condition to assume that they are in the group of people that is most likely to ruin their voice.

In order to produce an equivalent statement (the contrapositive), you have to both flip and negate the sufficient and necessary conditions. In other words if someone is not in the group of people most likely to ruin their voice (sufficient condition) then they are not a young opera singer with great vocal power (necessary condition). In your initial analysis you negated both terms, but you did not reverse them.

And another quick note on the secondary error I noticed, even in you had reversed them, the "most" before likely would still make it so that you were unable to produce equivalent statements.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”