161 diagnostic. Are the high 170s in reach? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
shadypines_ma

New

161 diagnostic. Are the high 170s in reach?

Post by shadypines_ma » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:05 am

Hello, all. I have a 161 diagnostic. I completely and utterly bombed the logic games section. Like many of you all, my hope is to attend a t-14 for employment outcomes. Side note: is it just me or is it significantly harder now to get into a t-14 than it was, say, 10 years ago?! I digress... My breakdown of the diagnostic is as follows:

• Reading comprehension: 26/27
  • Logical reasoning: 22/26
  • Reading comprehension: 25/27
  • Logic games: 11/23
After my diagnostic I spent two weeks studying only logic games, took another test, and got up to a 166. Since then I haven't been able to touch any LSAT studying because of work but I am looking to get back into it.

Thoughts: Reading comprehension is very intuitive to me. The questions I got wrong were ones where I immediately realized why I got them wrong and if I had only been a bit more careful or looked at the answer choices one more time, I would have been able to get them correct. I'm honestly not sure if I need to study reading comprehension because it felt natural to me.

A few logical reasoning questions tripped me up. I do plan to study logical reasoning, especially questions where you have to use formal logic.

Logic games... ugh. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I'm feeling really discouraged by this section!

I am particularly interested in hearing from people with similar diagnostic scores and how they ended up doing on the actual test. Thank you!

talons2250

Bronze

Re: 161 diagnostic. Are the high 170s in reach?

Post by talons2250 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:10 am

Logic games is the most teachable and reading comp is the least, so you’re actually in a pretty good situation.

Did you take the SAT and study beforehand in a manner similar to how you’re studying for the LSAT? If so, take your 1600 math + reading score on the SAT, multiply it by .048, add 100, and that’s probably around where your LSAT score will be.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:53 am

I had a very similar diagnostic test and ended up scoring a 176.

I did the blueprint pre-recorded class because I was working while studying and that really helped me with logic games.

ksm6969

Bronze

Post by ksm6969 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:40 am

Logic games are like soduko or any other “game.” Once you learn how to do them, you can get through them fast and easy. You should be able to miss zero or one each time with practice.

As far as getting “upper 170’s,” I’d actually be more concerned with your logical reasoning. That’s much harder to fix than the games. Though maybe you are just missing one or two concepts.

And ignore that sat to lsat formula. Two completely different tests.

shadypines_ma

New

Post by shadypines_ma » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:13 pm

Thank you! I am confident that I can learn logical reasoning once I get the formal logic ideas down pat. Those questions seemed to give me the most trouble.

I don't think, given my RC scores, that I will study that section much. Perhaps maybe just brushing up on it.

Do you think private tutoring for LG is worth it for a person like me?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shadypines_ma

New

Post by shadypines_ma » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:15 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:53 am
I had a very similar diagnostic test and ended up scoring a 176.

I did the blueprint pre-recorded class because I was working while studying and that really helped me with logic games.
That is an excellent score! If you don't mind me asking, did it open up the t-14 to you? I feel like admissions now are so difficult compared with 10 years ago when I was in undergrad. It's tough out there...

mandrewsf

New

Post by mandrewsf » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:25 pm

I scored a 162 on the diagnostic with similar score distribution across the sections and scored a 172 after 2.5 months of study. I think you're in a really good spot right now. I used powerscores logic games bible and I hear good things about 7sage's games program. But whatever you choose if you study hard and smart I'm sure you'll do well.

ksm6969

Bronze

Post by ksm6969 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:58 pm

shadypines_ma wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:13 pm
Thank you! I am confident that I can learn logical reasoning once I get the formal logic ideas down pat. Those questions seemed to give me the most trouble.

I don't think, given my RC scores, that I will study that section much. Perhaps maybe just brushing up on it.

Do you think private tutoring for LG is worth it for a person like me?
No reason for private tutoring now. Go through the LG power score bible. Do games with no time limit to start. Repeat tests (games section) after going through like 5 Tests . You will see that you don’t remember the game itself but do remember the inferences. Which is how it should feel once you get good. Once you can get through them with no time limit and not missing anything, then start worrying about time.

If after like a month of focus on games, you still can’t seem to get it ( I doubt it), then maybe private tutoring makes sense.

No reason to do anything with RC except maybe occasional practice. Even LR , maybe just do practice tests and see if there’s any pattern in the ones you miss. Maybe browse the LR bible quickly.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:42 am

You should aim for a 180, and with practice you should be high 170s consistently. Drill logic games as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657&hilit=Pithypike. That OP is 15 years old, so you should amend accordingly by drilling LG from, say, preptests 30-75. Then use preptests 76-95 for actually testing.

I was an LSAT teacher and private tutor for several years for one of the bettee companies. You should not hire a tutor or take a course. Most of the methods they teach outlive their usefulness by the time you get into the mid 160s, at most.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”