Seeking Tutor North Orange County/Long Beach Area Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Jnak10

New

Seeking Tutor North Orange County/Long Beach Area

Post by Jnak10 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I am in need of a tutor to help me improve my score. I have yet to finish any section in the allotted time. I took a self-paced online course, which yielded a 140. I then attended an in-person class, in which I received a 139. I did not give the test its due diligence the first two attempts so I pressed my nose to the book for the last 5 months.

I've been focussing on the Kaplan material and just transitioned to taking practice exams in preparation for the June test. So far I am getting more questioned correct but I am still far from finishing any section, especially Logic Games.

Does anyone know of a good tutor that can help?

slin3136

New

Re: Seeking Tutor North Orange County/Long Beach Area

Post by slin3136 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:15 pm

Hello!
If you're still looking for a tutor, I've been tutoring the LSAT for 2 years and got a 170 in 2018. My last student ended up getting a 171 in the April 2022 LSAT. Please let me know if you'd like to speak further! I'm not in the LA area but I can tutor over Zoom/Skype if that works for you.

Antetrust

New

Re: Seeking Tutor North Orange County/Long Beach Area

Post by Antetrust » Tue May 31, 2022 8:23 pm

Hello, not a tutor but I can offer some advice. I had similar scores to yours when I began my LSAT studies; by the end, I was regularly scoring 170-180 on practice tests under stricter-than-actual test conditions. Here is what worked for me.

1) Study the powerscore bibles. Focus on one section at a time. Time yourself. You must practice for substance first, but then also for speed.
2) Take every single practice test available, and do so under test conditions. REVIEW YOUR ANSWERS, especially the ones you got wrong and the ones you were unsure about (mark the questions you are unsure about as you take the test). One thing I liked to do was mark the questions I got wrong while trying not to look at (or remember) the correct answer. Then, I would attempt all of those questions again without time constraints. Only then would I look at the correct answer and figure out why I got the questions wrong. Also, there are some online forums where people post detailed explanations of every single question on past exams.
3) IMPORTANT: take serious notes on every single question you get wrong, and describe why you got it wrong. This sounds tedious, and maybe it is, but if you don't do this then you are wasting your time. I promise this will force you to better understand your mistakes. It will also help you identify patterns in your mistakes and patterns in correct answers.
4) Once you have taken every practice exam available, sort each section from every test into two piles: one pile for sections where you did not miss any question, and another pile for every section in which you missed any question. You can probably guess what comes next - retake every single section that you missed even a single question on. You can either build makeshift complete tests out of these sections, or take them individually.
5) Test yourself under stricter-than-actual test conditions. If you are allowed 30 minutes for a section, give yourself only 25. Add extra sections to your exams to simulate the experimental section you will have on test day. Or, better yet, take two or three tests in a row with no break (or only a very short break) in between.

You should take the LSAT very seriously. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it can be the difference between going to your #1 choice school and going to your #100 school. It can also be the difference between graduating with $200,000 in student loans and graduating debt-free.

Bonus tip for LR and RC sections: make a focused effort to visually diagram the problem in your head as you read it. For me, this made it way easier to understand, hold, and organize the information in my head. If you don't do this, and you find yourself reading the questions more than once, you are greatly hampering your ability to complete each section in the allotted time.

As for tutors, search for LSAT Unplugged on facebook or youtube. I don't know if he still tutors, but I expect he does. Smart, experienced, professional.

Best of luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”