Kaplan LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Cattuongle

New

Kaplan LSAT

Post by Cattuongle » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Will Kaplan study greatly improve the LSAT score?

IntellectualMode

New

Re: Kaplan LSAT

Post by IntellectualMode » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:24 am

Hi friend, I hope you're well.

Kaplan study resources are usually among the recommended resources for LSAT prep.
But will these resources alone greatly improve your LSAT score? Well, not necessarily.

The various resources provide the basics that you need to answer LSAT questions for a given section,
so it's really essential that you actively engage with the resources and make sure you understand how to approach each question type.

Whilst this can result in some improvement within score, arguably your best bet to improving your score is to put what you've learned into consistent practice and evaluation of those practices,
Make sure you get your hands on some PTs.

Best of luck

AJordan

Silver

Re: Kaplan LSAT

Post by AJordan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:15 pm

Any LSAT program ultimately produces results contingent on two components: 1) some cocktail of your own input levels of intelligence/innate ability/time/effort and 2) some cocktail of the outputs from your instructor (their time/effort/knowledge of the test/ability to teach)

Kaplan has a poor industry reputation due to criterion 2. Their standards for hiring are at or near the lowest in the industry with regard to required performance and teaching ability. That's not to say you can't find a good Kaplan instructor, they have so many that some HAVE to exist, it's just that you're rolling the dice. Furthermore, their methods are pretty functionally staid and I have not found a lot of their explanations that I've read in the past particularly satisfying. I haven't looked at their materials in about three years though, so this could be an opinion out of date if they've had a curriculum overhaul. My opinion of them is that they rely on their brand to attract students and don't give much thought to their effectiveness beyond an extremely streamlined approach that is, at best, good for teaching basics to a low scorer. They're also not cheap.

If you're new to the process I highly recommend you check out Khan Academy's LSAT resource if only because it's free. Mess around with that for a few weeks and then, if you want more, try a cheaper, more reputable resource like the Powerscore Bibles or Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer. They will give you a similar methodology to Kaplan at a small fraction of the cost.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”